Hacking Help test new tools for ModMii please!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hi folks, so ModMii has been around a long time and dare I say it is the best and easiest way to mod a wii today. Just one problem, those with only wiimote plus remotes have issues using Any Region Changer (ARC) and MMM. My pal @scooby74029 has been working on replacements that support wiimote+ remotes but before I roll them out to the masses, I'd like for others to test them to work out any bugs (if any).

First up, is ARC ModMii Edition (ARCME), download the test release HERE. Please don't beta test this without brick protection and without knowing what you're doing. To test this, basically run ModMIi's Region Change guide, but use ARCME instead of the version of ARC currently used by ModMii. If ARCME detects a region mismatch, all you should have to do is select the "Fix" option. The older version of ARC would require you to set a region, save the settings, then go back and change the video mode to whatever it was set to before, and save again. The "Fix" option in scooby's ARCME takes care of all that (i.e. it doesn't mess with the video mode setting but changes everything else to align with the installed system menu region). It's a minor improvement over the original but don't forget it also supports wiimote+ remotes so ARCME FTW!

The second tool scooby is working on isn't ready for testing yet, but because there's no source code publicly available for MMM, we are planning on modifying @FIX94 's some yawmm mod to add an app launcher menu that appears before returning to the loader (this will be the only change as it already supports wiimote+ remotes). This isn't meant to replace all that MMM can do, but rather just what ModMIi's needs MMM to do. Really this app launcher feature is only needed for ModMIi's HackMii Solutions guide to avoid some extra steps, but when ready ModMii will use it instead of MMM in all its guides. When scooby's YAWMM Mod is ready it can be tested safely even without bootmii @ boot2 as long as you are installing non-critical wads (i.e. anything that's not system menu or system menu IOS related)

So, for now just 1 tool to test (ARC ME) but I'll post again when YAWMM ModMii Edition is ready to be tested. Thanks in advance to anyone able to take the time to test these tools for us!

TLDR
Please test Any Region Changer ModMii Edition (Please don't beta test this without brick protection. To test properly run ModMIi's Region Change guide, but use ARCME instead of the version of ARC currently used by ModMii. Do not run this app by itself and guess what to do, only use it with a ModMii region change guide in place of the ARC app ModMii currently uses by default.)
One more app that needs testing is coming... eventually.

edit: ARCME 1.0.6 released (May 2022)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/any-region-changer-modmii-edition-v1-0-6-released.612336/

Last edited by XFlak,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Looking good so far!

I ran the complete Region Change Guide from 4.3E → 4.1U and used the new ARCME tool instead of the Any Region Changer ModMii suggested.

The Wii came up normally, no semi-bricks, System Settings work, all good. Inserting a retail (E) disc resulted in an error as expected (sadly I have no US disc to test).

=======
Then I ran the complete thing again from 4.1U → 4.1E, this time with a Wii Remote Plus. Again: no problems at any point. The Wii once again accepted my discs as expected.

Anything else to do with this? I've restored my NAND and can start from the beginning again if so.
Bueller? Bueller?
Bueller?
Sorry, I had to look that up on urbandictionary.com; I was just thinking: WHAT?

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: XFlak

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Thanks! So far so good.

I think I may have neglected to mention that it worked for me as well (changed from U to E and back), and no one has reported any issues. If we could get it tested on a couple more/different consoles that would great. With it tested on just 2 consoles so far it seems premature for public release (even though I honestly believe it's ready).

Yeah, I love me a good "Bueller?" joke. It's basically like asking "Anyone? Anyone?"

Last edited by XFlak,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@XFlak Works for me (on an original wiimote, and a 3rd party non-TR Motion+ remote), but the autofix option did change the video mode (contrary to the claim in OP) and also, in my opinion unnecessarily, the game region :)

Oh yeah, it was on a console without bootmii/boot2 and priiloader, not like it would have influenced the result ;)

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Thanks @Ryccardo! Can you share the specifics too like what region/firmware you started from and went to? Also, why do you think game region should be left alone? I'm actually not certain what difference that makes specifically off the top of my head.

@scooby74029, any ideas on the the auto fix issue described above? I may have started this thread but my area of expertise in this case starts and ends with soliciting feedback, lol, you are the clearly the brains of this operation!!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can you share the specifics too like what region/firmware you started from and went to?
Ahh, complicated story - it was a fairly plain 4.3E with RC24 ios31/80, d2x v8 (57 as 249 and 56 as 250)

Then I installed the "anti-brick CIOS60 as all other wiimenu IOS" series and downgraded to 2.0E for fun (I wanted to do a comparison of the major versions now that 1.0 leaked, but I'm too tired today to convert it from dev to retail, lol)

So I fired up Modmii again and downloaded & tried the 4.1J and 4.1E packs :)

Also, why do you think game region should be left alone? I'm actually not certain what difference that makes specifically off the top of my head.
It changes the region for games accepted by the Wii Menu (dvd and digital) which I consider a tangential issue to actually changing the region of the console itself (indeed you can change the game region just fine without changing the wii menu itself and the area region, and there are priiloader patches to make the Wii Menu ignore it)

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
So console was originally 4.3E, and you converted to 4.1J, then to 4.1E? And during both region changes the fix button didn't leave the video mode setting alone? Sorry just trying to summarize for scooby because you were right it does sound a bit complicated, lol.

As you say there are priiloader hacks for region free everything so I think it makes sense to change it to be a more 'pure' region change. TBH I don't feel strongly one way or the other but I appreciate you sharing your opinion.

Edit: just thought I'd add that I think region changing is generally pretty pointless, but added the functionality to ModMii so it can live up to the claim that it does it all. Region changing between E and U is particularly pointless, but if a user wants to region change for whatever reason I'm going to assume they want everything changed (with the exception of video mode, because they probably want to avoid a black screen, lol)

Last edited by XFlak,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So console was originally 4.3E, and you converted to 4.1J, then to 4.1E?
4.3E > 2.0E > 4.1J (I used autofix, which saves immediately, then used revert to reload setting/sysconf and see what changed) > 4.1E with autofix, which yes set it back to PAL (and now 4.3E via disc update lol)

changing between E and U is particularly pointless
American to European is useful to get more languages, as for the opposite... well, to change your country setting to one you can't select without looking up the number and manually entering it in ARC, I guess :D

with the exception of video mode, because they probably want to avoid a black screen
That's unlikely, since PAL and NTSC are just color encoding standards and should at worst result in a black and white picture (or red and black if using a RGB cable in NTSC mode, which results in S-video brightness data on the red line) - pretty much the only way to lose video would be to go NTSC to PAL while only owning an S-video cable!

Reactions: XFlak

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
There are a few games that won't work without real region changing.
I did a test long time ago when I region change my Wii from Jap to US for the English menu and at least one Jap game won't work. it work again when i change back to Jap region and not work again when I settle back to US.
Well i don't care about the Jap game and at worst i can use neek.

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
so i did the video and game regions because of a post i read from cyan i believe about ntsc video wont play on pal tv so ... user wouldnt be able to change those settings except with this tool if i remember right while i was doing it sorry been awhile since i worked on this one

looks like i didnt read down far enough so if needed we can remove those or leave them really up to xflak and users if u ask me

Last edited by scooby74029,

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I could've sworn video mode didn't change when I tested it, and I know that's the behaviour we discussed (I just double checked our PMs to be sure), but if you never made the adjustment to begin with then I might be mistaken. But yeah I think it would be better to leave video mode unchanged if you are able to investigate that :) Thanks dude

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Used ARCME at the moment and changed to Console Region USA.
The sysCheck says:

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: PAL
System Menu 4.3E (v514)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 07.14.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 92599898
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United Kingdom (110) <--- of Riiconnect use
Boot2 v4
Found 77 titles.
Found 50 IOS on this console. 5 of them are stubs.

Using PAL Games in Wii menu gives me an ERROR 2.
Sadly i have no original NTSC Game.

Anything else to know/test ?

Thank you.:)

Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over