HELP. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Blaze163, May 8, 2011.

May 8, 2011

HELP. Seriously. by Blaze163 at 12:28 AM (1,035 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho [​IMG]

I've got a major problem. My netbook is...fucked. I run AVG 9, the free version. Never had a problem with viral attacks, etc. I only use it for word processing, Facebook and here. But now my AVG has been disabled by a viral attack, or something. I've got something which claims to be my Windows Malware Guard demanding money from me, claiming I have a worm in a key file. I've tried to use my system recovery program to 'rewind' the system back to before this happened, but this new malware program is blocking it. I'm currently backing up critical files to an SD card but it'll take a fuckin' age. Is there any way to obliterate this god-forsaken program so I can spend more than 13 seconds on my netbook without it demanding my money?

As I said, I've NEVER had a problem with AVG before. I recognise that it's not the best option but it's free and it works. If it helps, here's a list of the 'symptoms'.

- Refusal to let me use basic programs. My word processor, WinRAR, anything that's not linked with paying for this service is blocked. Hence why my net browser remains active. Visit the website, read the testimonials, FUCK OFF.

- A high pitched scream sound effect alerting me to 'four high risk files' or 'data transfer alerts' which I know for a fact this fake malware program MUST be responsible for. I've not downloaded anything for months. Nothing that would be dangerous anyway.

- Shutting down file transfers to my SD card, thus preventing me from backing up critical data.

- Refusal to allow me access to the recovery menu. Task Manager, System Restore, everything dies on startup.

PLEASE help. I need my netbook. It's my link to my friends. I HATE viruses and stupid ignorant bullshit like this. As I can't use my recovery menu, I'm out of ideas. Short of hitting the mother fucker with a hammer. Right now I'm transferring several GB of data onto a 16GB SD card, but it's taking ages as this malware program is draining literally every speck of processing power I have. Any ideas?

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Can you access Safe Mode?

3. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    Boot up Linux off of a jump drive and back your data up through Linux. Then reinstall windows.

4. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Here's what you need:

Get Malware-Bytes.

Boot up in safe mode.

Run Malware-Bytes, and be as THOROUGH as possible.

Restart and see what happens.

If anything is still happening, consult this.

5. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sorry, I may have neglected to mention that when it comes to technology I'm a total fuckwit. With that in mind, what is Safe Mode and how do I get there?

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The rogue AV program attack is fairly well documented, and you will almost always find it's due to one file or two files located in one folder. That folder sometimes appears in system32, but mostly appears in the roaming data hidden folder (in the User folder).

Google is your best friend finding out where the rogue AV folder is located. The file and folder will have a randomly generated name, so be easy to tell when you finally spot it.

Oh and, if it wasn't said enough already, do everything in safe mode. That prevents the program from respawning after you delete it.

EDIT: safe mode is when windows runs under minimum settings. The easy way to get to it is to reset the comp, and as soon as you see the windows is loading screen, reset again. It'll bring up a prompt saying windows could not load properly, go to safe mode to fix it. ... You could also just keep mashing F8, but I find my method more elegant than hidden function boot loaders.

7. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Safe mode is when windows is running part of itself. Certain things are not active and the mode helps to try and fix windows.

Just start up your laptop and keep pressing F8 and it will give you a couple of options. Select the one that has Safe mode with netoworking.

8. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well all these error messages say that there's a 'worm' in something called W32. I suspect it's a lie. I can't find the program files for this Windows Malware program anywhere on the system, so it must be bullshit. I can only boot up Internet Explorer, everything else is blocked, even Firefox. I'm gonna finish transferring my data to the SD card then totally purge the entire system back to factory settings from the startup menu. If memory serves there's a button combination I have to hold to stop Windows booting up and enabling system recovery from a DOS menu. What''s the combo, or is it unique to each system?

9. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Safe mode is a diagnostic mode.
    [*]Shut off your computer and turn it back on.[*]As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu appears.[*]Choose 'Safe Mode'

10. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You're going to need the following

1) A CLEAN computer somewhere. Beg/borrow/steal if you have to.
    2) Download the AVG boot CD

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd-download

If your borrowed computer doesn't have a CD burner, go with the USB stick option.

3) Boot into the AVG CD and clean your netbook.

4) If the above fails, dig up the recovery cd for you netbook and wipe that thing out. Really it's almost not worth saving at this point.

11. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well anything involving any sort of CD is definately out on the grounds that netbooks don't have DVD drives. Or at least mine doesn't. As I understand it, the only differences between netbooks and laptops are the size and presence of a disk tray.

I can't even mute the system, it won't let me change my volume settings. My data backup just finished so I'm gonna reboot the system and try to use my recovery options from the bootup menu. Hope it works. I'm far too poor to afford a new model.

EDIT: It seems to have worked. I've rebooted my netbook and used the DOS recovery menu to enable Safe Mode, and from there rewound the settings to this time last week. AVG has been restored to operational status, I'm updating it to the latest version now to prevent this happening again. I've also robbed my dad's 16GB SD card, using it to back up all critical data until i get a decent size card of my own. Either way, it's working alright now. Thanks for your help, everyone. Now at least I know about Safe Mode so I can repeat this if necessary.

12. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    For the record, you could use Microsoft Security Essentials and see how that compares to AVG.
    Let me answer for you: Much better.

13. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Avast! Free edition isn't that bad either.

14. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    AVG is terrible. I just sped up my parent's PC by a good bit by removing AVG 10 and replacing it with Avast.

Follow Slyakin's advice and you'll take the sucker out (its not a big virus) then replace AVG with something less resource hogging. To get to safe mode just hammer F8 on boot up and choose "Safe Mode with Networking" you'll need a USB stick with MalwareBytes on it to simplify things. Install malwareBytes and let it update before running a full scan. No point in doing a complete restore you don't need to.

15. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    This. Malwarebytes has solved ALL of my rogue anti-virus encounters.