[Help] Olympus Eye Trek for the PS2

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by nasune, Jul 12, 2015.

1. nasune
    OP

nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Netherlands
    These last few days I've been trying to resurrect a pair of Eye Trek glasses. They've been in my possession for a while now, but the main cable was cut (this probably happened when they shipped it to me). Unfortunately I can't find much info on the pin out on the internet. I think I've figured it out, but honestly, I'm not sure.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see there are two wires of every color (which is rather annoying), but I think there is a method to this. If you take all the odd numbered wires on the Controller Unit side they match up with the top row on the Glasses side, and the same goes with the even numbers and the bottom row.

So taking this into account I've used my very improvised and very primitive probe (IE two strands of copper wire, a LED light, and a button cell ) to match everything up (twice. Once with wire glue, and once with crown stones). And it does work to an extent.
    The glasses will light up, and give a white screen. Unfortunately, that's all it does. There's no picture or sound (and yes, my Playstation 2 is set to Component), which leads me to wonder if there's still something wrong with the cable, or if there's something else going on.

The video units in the Glasses themselves seem to work very similar to the Virtual Boy units albeit with two real screens instead of fast moving LEDS. The two screens are projected at small mirrors and into your eyes. The screens do appear to be attached with ribbon cables (just like the virtual boy units), but I don't think that's the problem. Mainly because it should still give me sound. The ear pieces are wired directly into the circuit board, so they should not be affected by the lack of video.

This lack of sound keeps bringing me back to the cable. Does anyone know if I made a mistake somewhere, or, if the cable is fine as it is, what else could be wrong?