Hardware Help!!! No SRAM!!!

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
There are other issues, pokemon gold shares RAM BANK between A000-BFFF (up to four in total), with RTC commands. BANK 0 is given a specialtreatment from MBC3 backwards (redirects to 0000-3FFF), while MBC5 creates a bank "0". latch clock signal (write only) exists only in MBC-3, so a patch to disable entirely clock is a must.

RAM BANKs on MBC-5 are either 64 (4 bytes),256(16 bytes) or 1024 bit (64 bytes) (must be chosen and addresses must fit game reserved buffers for fixed RAM BANKs values)

MBC-3 shares 2000-3FFF to set current ROM BANK number, by redirecting to indexed ROM BANK physical areas between 4000-7FFF, MBC-5 splits:

2000-2FFF for current RAM BANK (8 lowest bits), with the specified BANK 0 treatment described above.

3000-3FFF for current RAM BANK (high bit [9-15 highest bits?]) are saved here, probably because of larger virtual table lengths.

at least that's what I understood here:

http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/Memory_Bank_Controllers

good luck.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The reason I was looking at the MBC was how it looks like it connects to the SRAM in this picture:

I mean, it looks like it shares some paths. Just a hunch, but I haven't dug into the depths of Google to find a good back-front scan of the chip board.

I mean, what if I used an SD card as an SRAM? (I know I'm probably stretching that one)

Yep, that's a pretty big stretch - those memory standards are different. The problem with your idea is that you'd have to retrace each and every connection on both sides to effectively add the SRAM and even once you'd do it, you still can't be sure that it will actually work since it has to be a very particular type of it and it requires additional resistors and whatnot.

Like I said, all I can really recommend is getting a cartridge that has everything you need already on-board - everything else is going to be a massive waste of your time and money. I'm willing to wager that you'll get a compatible cartridge on the cheap these days.

Here's a handy guide on how to build it: Click!

Airikita

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yep, that's a pretty big stretch - those memory standards are different. The problem with your idea is that you'd have to retrace each and every connection on both sides to effectively add the SRAM and even once you'd do it, you still can't be sure that it will actually work since it has to be a very particular type of it and it requires additional resistors and whatnot.

Like I said, all I can really recommend is getting a cartridge that has everything you need already on-board - everything else is going to be a massive waste of your time and money. I'm willing to wager that you'll get a compatible cartridge on the cheap these days.

Here's a handy guide on how to build it: Click!
Actually, that gives me a fun idea for a separate mod... a Pokemon Dungeon Rush mod!!! I won't need a save chip, and it will be awesome.

I can ditch the save chip for that idea, and I'll get the flash cart for the full mod. This will be fun.

theBitman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://reinerziegler.de/download/MBC5_Cart.pdf

http://reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm

Check these out. Notice that the MBC5 printed on the circuitboard doesn't mean anything, it's all about the board itself.
Had you done your research, you would have saved yourself $6 and some frustration, the sticker wasn't even on the cartridge - you can visibly see that it isn't like every other cart that has been frankensteined into a flashcart.

You have nothing to blame but your own lack of common sense and research. Hope your endeavors blossom into something worthwhile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge