Hardware Help!!! No SRAM!!!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked into it, but it would cost me more than just buying a Pokemon cart and burning the chip.

Again, you can't just burn reflash a ROM chip. It doesn't work like that. You have to remove the previous SMD flash chip entirely (which is a pain in the ass so I hope you have a hot air reworking station) buy a new SMD chip or compatible flash chip like is listed on the page Foxi linked, program it (after making your own programmer or buying one), and then find a way to resolder it to the board (which is gonna be harder with a non-SMD chip since the PCB isn't set up for it)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I never said I knew more, I just won't take bullshit responses. If you're going to explain something to someone who is still learning, don't go "well you're just stupid". I know my shit, and I've researched a lot before I went and bought a cart. I didn't realize it was going to be missing a battery. Boo-hoo, I must be a kid because I didn't get a proper explanation when I asked.

And now that we have estabolished it won't work, I have been considering getting a custom board.
Nobody has called you stupid once before you pulled out the numbnuts on us. There were no bullshit responses either - I wanted to establish whether the cartridge even had those features in the first place and they were removed or if you wanted to add them. We wanted to know what you're trying to do to best assist you.

What you're trying to do is physically impossible - you cannot rewrite the ROM, you have to swap the chip for a rewrittable one and you will require a compatible MBC revision if you count on any compatibility whatsoever. You will not reach full compatibility due to various Bank setups the Game Boy used, but with the schematics I posted you'll get the best compatibility there is. If you are really dedicated, get one of the listed games, one of the listed chips and start soldering.

Reactions: NEP

Airikita

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nobody has called you stupid once before you pulled out the numbnuts on us. There were no bullshit responses either - I wanted to establish whether the cartridge even had those features in the first place and they were removed or if you wanted to add them. We wanted to know what you're trying to do to best assist you.

What you're trying to do is physically impossible - you cannot rewrite the ROM, you have to swap the chip for a rewrittable one and you will require a compatible MBC revision if you count on any compatibility whatsoever. You will not reach full compatibility due to various Bank setups the Game Boy used, but with the schematics I posted you'll get the best compatibility there is. If you are really dedicated, get one of the listed games, one of the listed chips and start soldering.
PIC burners.

But no worries, I was only looking for someone to explain this to me.

Airikita

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what would happen if you address non-existing physical area (burned on the MBC?) and/or the game issues MBC commands that are not available on MBC5?
Well, the obvious difference between MBC3 and MBC5 is MBC5 is missing clock/timer. I could just ditch it, since it's not really necessary. I mean, my mod will include everything at a certain daytime. I could just route the data elsewhere.

I believe Pokemon Gold has a way to say "well the clock is missing, so you can't use the full potential of this game", but it's still playable.

However, the bank sizes are different too.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PIC burners.

But no worries, I was only looking for someone to explain this to me.

PIC burners are used to write instructions into PIC microcontrollers which have the capability to be written into, you cannot flash a chip which does not have this capability. Once a ROM chip has been filled with data, that's it, done. I apologize if you felt offended at any point, I'm not here to argue with you, I'm here to explain things to you.

If you want to achieve what you are trying to achieve, you will need a cartridge with a compatible MBC setup (5 is the most compatible of all), SRAM, a battery and a compatible ROM chip that you can replace the original with. No other method will work, otherwise people wouldn't bother with soldering 20-odd wires to their boards.

Airikita

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PIC burners are used to write instructions into PIC microcontrollers which have the capability to be written into, you cannot flash a chip which does not have this capability. Once a ROM chip has been filled with data, that's it, done. I apologize if you felt offended at any point, I'm not here to argue with you, I'm here to explain things to you.

If you want to achieve what you are trying to achieve, you will need a cartridge with a compatible MBC setup (5 is the most compatible of all), SRAM, a battery and a compatible ROM chip that you can replace the original with. No other method will work, otherwise people wouldn't bother with soldering 20-odd wires to their boards.
Alright.

I read up that an EPROM was used on a GBC cart, a 1:1 match.

That's probably the flash chip you mentioned, which has the matching pinouts.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alright.

I read up that an EPROM was used on a GBC cart, a 1:1 match.

That's probably the flash chip you mentioned, which has the matching pinouts.

An EPROM (rarely EROM), or erasable programmable read only memory, is a type of memory chip that retains its data when its power supply is switched off. In other words, it is non-volatile. It is an array of floating-gate transistors individually programmed by an electronic device that supplies higher voltages than those normally used in digital circuits. Once programmed, an EPROM can be erased by exposing it to strong ultraviolet light source (such as from a mercury-vapor light). EPROMs are easily recognizable by the transparent fused quartz window in the top of the package, through which the silicon chip is visible, and which permits exposure to UV light during erasing.
*Glances at the photo, doesn't see a window, sincerely doubts that you have a flippin' mercury-vapor light source*

...good luck?

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just use a dremel to grind the top off and put some clear cellophane wrap on it

...and then send it onto the surface of the sun instead of, y'know, replacing it with rewrittable flash like everybody else. ;O;

...or he could build a mercury-vapor lamp... and get mercury poisoning in the process. ;O;

...I also have a feeling that he might damage the actual chip if he's never used a dremel to de-surface a chip before. Just a hunch. :unsure:

EDIT: Anticipating the "but I can write to it, why would I want to erase from it anyways? I don't want it empty" argument, I shall explain how EPROM works.

In a natural, empty state all cells in EPROM are set to the value "1", once current passes through them from a programmer, they are set to the value "0" where desired.

Erasing from EPROM is a necessary part of the writing process and has to be performed. This is because you can effectively write a "0" onto a position where a "1" is stored but not the other way around. Whether you like it or not, the second write without an erase will end up with false writes, "0's" where you don't want them which are left-overs from the previous write.

In other words, to change the ROM/ROM's on your cartridge you would have to put the chip under a strong UV light each and every time to erase the data stored on it... provided you wouldn't kill it with a dremel beforehand. This wouldn't be the case if the cartridge was equipped with an EEPROM module, but you said it's EPROM. You can make sure by looking up the serial number from the chip online.

This will quickly cause much wear and tear to the aged chip and will eventually break it, which is why you want to replace it with a chip that isn't a pain to write to.

More on the subject here: EPROM Tutorial

tl;dr you can write to EPROM except it's a pain in the butt and you really don't want to do that.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...and then send it onto the surface of the sun instead of, y'know, replacing it with rewrittable flash like everybody else. ;O;

...or he could build a mercury-vapor lamp... and get mercury poisoning in the process. ;O;

...I also have a feeling that he might damage the actual chip if he's never used a dremel to de-surface a chip before. Just a hunch. :unsure:

You might want to go to a chiropractor if you have a hunch... poor posture is no joke.

(Also I have no idea if desurfacing the IC with a dremel/sander/anything like that would be a good/feasible idea or even possible period. I sure as hell am not trying XD)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You might want to go to a chiropractor if you have a hunch... poor posture is no joke.

(Also I have no idea if desurfacing the IC with a dremel/sander/anything like that would be a good/feasible idea or even possible period. I sure as hell am not trying XD)
It's possible if you're extremely gentle and precise - it has been done with more delicate circuitry, it can be done with this. I just don't know if the OP realizes that UV erasing is something he will have to perform every single time he changes the ROM image... or that it causes wear and tear... or that keeping the chip under the light for too long will damage it... or that keeping it under the light not long enough will cause false writes... Or that erasing itself will gradually lower access times regardless of whether he does it right or wrong... :)

Airikita

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
20131015_2141101_zps4f87259c.jpg.html

20131015_2141101_zps4f87259c.jpg

20131015_2141211_zps606b544b.jpg

And I've been considering making a custom cart, seeing as the wires go.... differently. I will be looking into getting a custom cart, maybe. The wires from the ROM remain the same, but the MBC5 baffles me compared to other carts. I might research it later, I dunno.

I think this was an educational $6 piece.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And I've been considering making a custom cart, seeing as the wires go.... differently. I will be looking into getting a custom cart, maybe. The wires from the ROM remain the same, but the MBC5 baffles me compared to other carts. I might research it later, I dunno.

I think this was an educational $6 piece.
0mpd0ON.jpg

...am I close? :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be 100% fair, you can mod this cartridge to work with other games, but you will not be able to save or use a clock simply because the cartridge does not support that. Leave the MBC alone and focus on the chip (CGB-AOXE-0) on the side, that's what you're interested in.

Airikita

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be 100% fair, you can mod this cartridge to work with other games, but you will not be able to save or use a clock simply because the cartridge does not support that. Leave the MBC alone and focus on the chip (CGB-AOXE-0) on the side, that's what you're interested in.
The reason I was looking at the MBC was how it looks like it connects to the SRAM in this picture:
PokemonSilverBoard.jpg

I mean, it looks like it shares some paths. Just a hunch, but I haven't dug into the depths of Google to find a good back-front scan of the chip board.

I mean, what if I used an SD card as an SRAM? (I know I'm probably stretching that one)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does. +1