Homebrew HELP! No E-book reader will work for me :(

stringbeans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been at it for several hours, and it's 2am and i'm at wits end.

I'm trying to get an ebook reader (ANY ebook reader) to work on my DS. I have an R4 Revolution card, and have tried the following:

1. DSReader - followed instructions, but it does not see the fonts in the DSReader folder so I can't get past this initial step. I just get blank screen, even though I know the fonts are in there;

2. ReadMore - Hangs when I select a text file to read;

3. DSLibris - I get a "Guru Meditation Error!" everytime I open it - have no idea what it means, it's just this big red screen and I can't even start the program.

I have also tried Moonshell and DSOrganize, and all I get are random characters and no words.

I've tried changing the text files, the coding, I've tried several programs, I followed guides on how to convert xhtml files for DSLibris (which seemed to work), but I cannot get any program to work.

I don't know what i'm doing wrong
frown.gif
Also, at first I thought that the R4 automatically patched with DLDI (since i've never had to do this before) however after these roms didn't work initially I tried patching and it made no difference.

So anyone....everyone...for the love of God - please offer your wisedom?

Gratefully thankful,

stringbeans.

ChuckMcB

Trophies
Website
www.ds-xtra.com
XP
Country
I would have agreed with you about DLDI patching the .nds files. Have you got any DS homebrew to work at all?

If none of the apps work for you it looks like you are having bigger problems. When was the last time you gave your SD card a backup-format-restore?

stringbeans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Mate, thanks for the reply.

I've had homebrew work for me - I use DSOrganize and Bunjalloo quite a bit with no problems.

This card is quite new, so only last week I transferred everything on to it. However, I may try doing this again to see if it will help.

Cheers.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What version of dslibris? 1.4.3 was released on August 4th of this year. I had that particular guru error with one screen going red on my R4 about a year ago on an old version.

1.3 beta 193 was the last version I used on an R4 successfully before I changed carts. It worked fine.

To use dslibris you have to know how to format books correctly.

Here are all the releases of DSLibirs ever. http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndslibris/files/

Again, the latest is 1.4.3 which is working great on my cyclo, but the last I ever used on an R4 was 1.3 beta 193. The last two versions of DSlibris have been testing new features, among them a lifting of forced memory restrictions to allow larger books (over 2048 DS sized pages) and to allow better switching between large books (earlier versions would run out of memory and just hang). Try an earlier version prior to these features if they are giving you a red screen on your particular R4. Official R4 with official R4 firmware does auto DLDI patch. With all the clones and firmwares there are these days, who knows what you've got.

stringbeans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses again. Porkdish: I attempted the newest version of DSLibris, which is the one that gave me the ugly red screen guru error. I tried an earlier version this time (version 1.3-something), and while I got the dslibris opening screen, I still got the Guru error on my touchscreen. Frustrating. I know my book is in the correct format, since I followed the steps (found in another post on this forum) to convert it to xhtml via simpletidy.

KingdomBlade: Thankyou for the suggestion, but TextViewer didn't work either. I followed the instructions found in the readme file, and all I got was jibberish as the filename when I tried to open it - It didn't even load
frown.gif

*sighs*

I'm going to now reformat and see if that works.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would just try manually DLDI patching them see if it makes any difference at all with the r4tf.dldi file

or try using YSMENU
smile.gif

re DSreader try putting the nds file and the fonts into the ROOT or first folder you see when you open your memory card

a lot of older homebrew requires them and associated files to be in the ROOT or main folder to work
smile.gif

stringbeans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Koby: thanks for the response
smile.gif
There was a time where I did put everything in the root folder, and DSReader did see it, but when I selected it I got a response of "this font cannot be loaded". I tried several fonts and got the same response each time.

RE: YSMENU: No idea what this is! But I shall look it up if my current reformatting fails to give results. Thanks!

stringbeans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks KingdomBlade, i'll give it a go.

In the meantime, I formatted and did a fresh reload of everything. I tried DSLibris again after patching with DLDI and have now gotten a screen that says "filesystem mounted".....before I get the "Guru Meditation Error!" message again
frown.gif

Oh well, I guess it's a step forward.

stringbeans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATE: I got DSLibris to work!

I uploaded a fresh version of the kernal to my card after formatting it, than I only uploaded DSlibris and nothing else. It worked, so I uploaded all my roms and it is still working
biggrin.gif

I appreciate everyones replies on this, thanks so much
smile.gif

ChuckMcB

Trophies
Website
www.ds-xtra.com
XP
Country
Good stuff! The symptoms you were describing did make it sound like it was a card/firmware/kernel issue rather than a problem with the Homebrew. Anyhow, let us know how you get on.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I would suggest its just a bad sector, I have used DSLibris with a dodgy micro SD before with nasty results. Be sure you formatted the micro sd properly or you can end up back at square one with a bunch of incomprehensible files from the future and distant past (corrupt file table) and have to format again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo