Help Needed Running DS Games

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Gumdoc, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Gumdoc
    OP

Gumdoc Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    Studio City, California
    Sorry for the noob question, I've gone through dozens of threads but it's still confusing to me:

I have a N3DS US version, 9.0, Gateway 3.2 with the 4.5 System Settings fix. I want to be able to run DS games, either old cartridges I have or a DS flash cart.

My understanding is that if I run a DS cart, I will lose the exploit and have to re-do that each and every time I want to get the Gateway exploit back. Honestly, I found it a pain the first time and prefer not to do it each time.

I've read about using a ROP installer, a few have said that running it twice and changing the profile name will get the exploit to "stick", but I wasn't sure if that applies to the Gateway exploit. I also believe I read I can use flashcardtimewarp.cia to get my Blue card to function as a DS card with my 9.0 system.

Could anyone kindly advise what's the easiest way to run DS games with my current setup? I don't mind running a simple installer to regain the exploit each time, but if there's a way around this, it would be awesome.

Thanks for any help.

2. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Install the blucardfix.cia (from gateway) to sysnand and you should be able to use blocked flashcards and more importantly, have an easy way to flash the exploit again after playing your ds games.

3. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    Use the ropinstaller / name change ect. It'll work for the gateway. It's what I used & the exploit is 'stuck'

This was taken from another thread that I had saved to a document.

4. Gumdoc
    OP

Gumdoc Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    Studio City, California
    Thanks...is there a tutorial on how to do this? I have GW and the 4.5 System Settings installed, do I have to repeat that? Never installed a .cia file, what do I need to do?

Actually...wait...I think I installed the mset.cia through devmenu when I set it up, do I just use DevMenu to install the fix? Any other steps?

5. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    You installed the 4.5 mset... which is a .cia file...
    No you won't have to repeat that.

1/ put bluecardfix.cia on 3ds's sdcard
    2/ boot gw sysnand mode
    3/ launch devmenu
    4/ look for the bluecardfix.cia in the sdmc tab and press A twice to install
    5/ done

6. Gumdoc
    OP

Gumdoc Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    Studio City, California
    Do I need to uninstall anything or just run that N3DS_ROPInstaller.nds once I have run the bluecardfix.cia? Guess I'm unclear, if I have a functioning GW system, what does running the N3DS_ROPInstaller.nds actually do?

7. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    When you run N3DS_ROPInstaller.nds you select New 3DS and it will install the DS Profile that loads the Launcher.dat from your sdcard. No you don't have to uninstall anything.

8. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Only part of the exploit is removed when running DS mode software. Specifically, the DS Profile that's used to trigger the bug in System Settings. The only step you would need to do is re-run GW_INSTALLER.nds, you don't have to re-install mset.cia or anything else. If you hadn't already, you should install bluecardfix.cia the same way you installed mset.cia, so it's installed to sysNand. That will let you use the blue card both for DS games and for GW_INSTALLER.nds (or other ROP installer).

Colorful analogy time! Think of installing mset.cia as secretly replacing the chef in a restaurant's kitchen with his twin brother who has epilepsy. Everything works just fine, as long as he doesn't see certain flashing patterns of lights. Then, think of the ROP installer/GW_INSTALLER/DS Profile as... uhh... replacing the videos on the restaurant TVs with a specific set of flashing colors that will trigger a seizure that will cause him to smash open the back door and let you inside? Whenever you run DS mode software, you're playing something else on the TVs, so you have to remember to put the flashing colors video back on when you're done.

...I'm running on very little sleep... ^_^;;

9. Gumdoc
    OP

Gumdoc Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    Studio City, California
    Thank you all for the help, worked like a charm the first time through :lol:

dedChar likes this.