Hardware [HELP] N3DSXL Brick

If you have had a bricked 3DS in the past (due to homebrew) and sent it to Nintendo did they fix it?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • They sent me a brand new one!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't have any save progress on my DSi titles I bought since when you transfer the games from DSi to 3DS it automatically deletes your saves (Thanks Nintendo!), so that won't really be an issue. Just out of curiosity if you called Nintendo and claimed that your old system was lost and they unlinked NNID with your old system, couldn't you have games on both the old system and new system?

Doubtful. It might work for a while, idk, but if you ever wanted to set up a NNID on that system (required to go online for many things or to download titles from the eshop) you would HAVE to format the system which would delete the games.

TheLegendaryJame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doubtful. It might work for a while, idk, but if you ever wanted to set up a NNID on that system (required to go online for many things or to download titles from the eshop) you would HAVE to format the system which would delete the games.
Would you happen to know if when sysNAND and emuNAND are linked and you download a game from the eShop (Let's say The Legend of Zelda Four Swords ANNIV Edition), on emuNAND will it also save to sysNAND or would there be a way to transfer it?

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you happen to know if when sysNAND and emuNAND are linked and you download a game from the eShop (Let's say The Legend of Zelda Four Swords ANNIV Edition), on emuNAND will it also save to sysNAND or would there be a way to transfer it?
IF your nands are still linked (i.e. they both read from and write to the same folder inside sd:\Nintendo 3DS) then downloading a title in either emunand or sysnand will cause it to show up in the other as well.

However the title in question will only be usable in sysnand if it is legitimately signed OR sysnand has its signature checks patched out with something like rxMode or Gateway.

TheLegendaryJame

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However the title in question will only be usable in sysnand if it is legitimately signed OR sysnand has its signature checks patched out with something like rxMode or Gateway.
Okay dumb question, but how would you know if it's legitimately signed or not? And I didn't even know you could patch out signature checks with Gateway would that involve screwing with .cias?

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay dumb question, but how would you know if it's legitimately signed or not? And I didn't even know you could patch out signature checks with Gateway would that involve screwing with .cias?

Any titles downloaded from the eShop or NUS are legitimately signed (as opposed to unsigned cias like the ones made when we convert from .3ds to .cia).

Any alteration made to a cia file will break any signature it may or may not have had. If I understand the process correctly, the "signature" is essentially a hash of the file contents. If the contents don't match the hash provided by Nintendo, its not signed. (Very basic understanding and I am sure there is more to it.)

Every CFW in use now (rxTools, Cakes, Reinand and Gateway) patch the firmware that is loaded into ram to not check this signature before installing or running titles. This is what is meant when someone refers to patching out or remove signature checks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: we are fucked