Homebrew Help me, I'm a noob at compiling homebrew applications

Melsbacksfriend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a noob at compiling homebrew. I need a noob-friendly tutorial. I don't even know how to generate the makefile. Can you tell me how to do that first?

D

Deleted User

thats very simple you go to: devkitpro.org
then you just download the Updater (its no Updater its Installer/Updater)
then you execute it and install it

WARNING: ITS NO RUNNABLE APPLICATION

then go into your installation folder standard is: C:\devkitpro
then you go into C:\devkitpro\examples\switch and choose what you want
i started testing around with the hello-world program its in the graphics/printing folder

when you want to port something it gets complicated.
most games are using different libaries.
then you enter msys2 in the Cortana field or however you want to call it dont know how the offical name for win 7 is
then a window will open and directly close and then a linux console open (btw everything what works in Msys2 works in PowerShell from win10 too)
then you enter pacman -Sl (its a L no i) please be careful when using this command in PowerShell because in Powershell it writes very slow. (CASE SENSITIVE COMMAND)
then you search your package and copy the name from the first to the last space. please think about that every normal package the games uses not must be avaiable on nintendo switch
then you enter pacman -S [NAME OF PACKAGE]
then you say YES or JA or SI or what ever your computer prompt you to.
then you will install this package and no theres no method installing all. (sadly)
then you need a Makefile and im really not good at creating Makefiles sorry but maybe YouTube helps you btw the original game Makefile will compiles in a EXE or what ever too so you need a new one.
a template Makefile is foundable in the examples folder. SDL Makefiles are in graphics/sdl2/sdl2-simple
there you have a good template now when you edited it, it will compile as soon as you enter MAKE into the Console you using (this command even works in DOS Command Prompt)
if you have multiple Makefiles for example Choclate Doom with its makefile.hexen and his makefile.doom then enter MAKE [MAKEFILE NAME]
What makes error:
1. Makefiles
2. SPACES IN FILE NAMES
3. your Code

when your binary doesnt run in yuzu then i can say that this is normal most binarys dont work in yuzu when they using SDL2

but first you should know if C or C++ btw C# does exist too but only if you have the SDK and the Add ons for Unity.
but Unity compile your C# binary unfortunatly it compiles it into NSP i guess. am i wrong idk im not using unity.

btw not everything what runs on Windows or other PC will work on Switch
for example the SDL2 Port is not perfect drawing Images with the classic version crashes often (or my code is trashy)

its a lot of Text but it will help.
then when having SYSTEM hacking things like the lights from the JoyCon you can see in Devkitpro

DO ME A FAVOR AND UPDATE YOUR EXAMPLES EVERY MONTH OR SO THEY ARE STILL ADDING THINGS LIKE LIGHTS IN IT AND CODE IS PRETTY WELL COMENTATED

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep you cant read
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

What didn't I read? I'm replying to the OP. I asked him what he's trying to compile and why he's trying to compile it. He did not state those things in the OP. Most homebrew applications are already available pre-compiled.

You went on a rant about Yuzu and Unity and SDL2. I'm confident that you thoroughly confused OP.

BTW, I'm using Firefox.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my first Switch homebrew app. I'm still not that good at programming. This is not a real virus. I made this on Ubuntu because real devs use Linux.
SciresM uses Windows and Notepad++ for Atmosphere development ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: