Help...Kinect mouse tracking for ultimate man cave

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by tatripp, Jul 13, 2017.

1. tatripp
    OP

tatripp GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Hello everyone. I bought a house one year ago, and I'm not married yet. Until I get married, I will continue to build the ultimate man cave. I have an awesome home theater set up with a 125'' projector, surround sound, Alexa voice controls (lights, video input and music), Switch/PC/Wii U/PS3/etc, reclining theater seats with USB chargers built in. You would think that I am set for summer, but like Icarus, I want more. I want to be the ultimate couch potato for the rest of the summer. I want my skin to merge with the leather of my recliner.
    Optimized-home theater.jpg
    Optimized-theater chairs.jpg

Basically I would like to control my PC from my chairs without a physical mouse. I know I won't be able to type. I pretty much would use it to browse my media or to open up my bookmarks and browse with links. I played with the Kinect once at my friend's house back in the day. It seemed...okay. I plan on trying to use it or something like it to veg out for the rest of the summer. Here are my concerns and issues that I was hoping that you guys could help me with:
    1) Will the Kinect reach me from my chairs? Will it work in a dark room? It seems like the answer is yes from my research, but is the Kinect functional enough?
    2) Will the Kinect work in dark rooms?
    3) Will the Kinect reach me from about 12-16 feet away?
    4) Are there any programs that you know of that will make this work effectively? I did some research, but most of the stuff looks super old or like a proof of concept and not very functional.

If you have any other advice, please let me know.

Taleweaver and KiiWii like this.
  2. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Why (if I may ask) not just use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, it would likely be much easier than a Kinect if only for the sake of frustration due to accuracy?

3. tatripp
    OP

tatripp GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I do use that currently and it is great, but sometimes I would prefer not to get up when I left it/them in another seat.

4. McBing

McBing Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Hmmm, what about leap ? I don't know how EXACTLY it works, but maybe it's a better solution than kinect

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    how do you click and drag stuff?

6. McBing

McBing Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2011
    Gambia, The
    So... I watched some videos, and I THINK (!... I'm not a great thinker so please don't get your hopes too high) it depends on how far away your hand is from the sensor... so you can place the sensor in front of your chair (or maybe on the armrest or something) and when your hand is hovering BEFORE the sensor your cursor just moves, and if your hand is BEHIND the cursor you "touch" the icons.

So I think that would help with the clicking and dragging, I don't know about right clicks, but it recognizes all 5 fingers, so maybe if you use 2 fingers for right click it works.

7. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    Does it work with Tumbleweed?

8. tatripp
    OP

tatripp GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Hmmm... Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look into Leap and continue to research.