Help! Internet enabled Wii Channels not working after softmod

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wiitim, Dec 17, 2013.

1. wiitim
    OP

wiitim Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2013
    Hi all, I hope that someone can help me. I recently bought a used 4.3E Wii which I'm trying to softmod. Before I began, I ran the Shopping Channel and installed the Internet, YouTube, and BBC iPlayer channels. All of these channels worked correctly at that point.

I then applied the letterbomb exploit and used ModMii to download the required patches.
    The problem I have now is that the channels that I downloaded no longer work. The behaviour is pretty much identical to the problem that's reported here:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/problems-with-my-4-3e-softmod.252608/

If I start any channel that requires internet connectivity, the Wii hangs. The controller loses sync and the only thing I can do at that point is to turn the console off and on again using the button on the actual unit.

Can someone suggest what I could do to make these channels work again? Here's my syscheck report if it helps. Thanks in advance!

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    First of all update your syscheck app.

Secondy you can alwaysredownload the channel from nintendo Wiishop.
    You ddid not accidentally installed an older Wiishop channel from you modmii install?
    Most interenet enable s channel check you installed shopchannel version, you see.

EDIT: looking at your softmod, you should enable the BETA cios option in modmii.
    V 8 of D2X is VERY outdated to fully enjoy all options for backup loading such as nand emulation and nand channel loading form you hdd.

Or look here for the latest BETA ( wich is STABLE btw )
    http://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/

3. wiitim
    OP

wiitim Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2013
    Hielkenator - thanks a lot for your quick reply. I'm quite certain that I didn't install an older version of WiiShop from my ModMii install.

Can you tell me how to update, or obtain an up to date version of the syscheck app? I tried searching for this and have found many links, but I'm not sure as to what the latest version is. I assume from your comment that sysCheck v2.1.0b19 is out of date?

I'll try your suggestion of enabling the BETA CIOS option in ModMii and report back later.

4. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    I apologize about my syscheck comment.
    You version is clrearly up to date.

I was mistaken ny Joostinonline his app, ( syscheckHD and Inspectmii )

You can also get the proper cIOS using modmii classic and getting the files seperately.

In modmii menu go to download page 4 and type BETA to acces the BETA release options.
    After that you can download the files with modmii. ( if you are unsure wich files to get, type REC the get the recomended files. )
    YOu can install you cios files with your wadmanager of choice.

5. wiitim
    OP

wiitim Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2013
    Here's an update. I took Hielkenator's advice and updated my Wii. I used the BETA option in ModMii, and used the REC option to get all recommended updates.

Unfortunately, the internet enabled channels still don't work :-( Here's my latest syscheck report.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

If it helps, here's exactly what happens when I start each of these channels:
    • Internet Channel - the splash screen displays OK and it displays the 'start' screen which contains the favourites, search, and web address buttons. It freezes at this point and the WiiMote becomes unreactive. The reset button on the console doesn't work. The only thing that you can do is to power off the Wii by pressing power button for 5 seconds.
    • BBC iPlayer Channel - this channel crashes immediately with a black screen
    • YouTube Channel - this channel crashes immediately with a black screen
    • Shopping Channel - this displays the splash screen with the Wii logo and a spinning wait symbol beneath. It freezes at this point and the channel never loads to completion.
    I can confirm that internet connectivity works OK. The connectivity test in the Wii setup succeeeds, and the network icon appears in the Homebrew Channel.

I tried to fix the Internet Channel by reinstalling it through Multi-mod Manager. Although it reinstalled without any errors, it still freezes in the same way when you start it.

Can anyone suggest what else I can try? Many thanks!