Help installing homebrew channel.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ChaosBoi, Oct 1, 2008.

Oct 1, 2008
  1. ChaosBoi
    OP

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    Okay, my Wii system is still 3.2U so I figured I should use the first save in the latest Twilight Hack. Anyway, I downloaded the homebrew channel elf and named it boot.elf, placed it in the root of my 1GB microSD card (I have an SD adapter for it so I can use it on the wii) and then booted up the 1st slot of the TH save. When I triggered the exploit, it says something along the lines of "can't read boot.elf. no boot code found, hanging". What am I doing wrong? The hombrew channel was downloaded from their official site, just so you know.

2. Shinster

Member Shinster GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    The TP hack is working fine apparently... So there's something wrong with the HBC elf most prolly.

3. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just a guess, but try to delete the 'boot.elf' file from the SD card, download it again, and place the newly downloaded 'boot.elf' onto the root of the SD card. I had to do this with FCEU before.

4. ChaosBoi
    OP

United States
    Still says the same thing [​IMG] . Can you send me your copy of the boot.elf? If it worked for you, I'll try it on my Wii.

5. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I also downloaded Beta 8 from their site, so it shouldn't be any different. Also, are you sure that you are not naming it something like 'boot.elf.elf'?

6. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    I'm nor really sure about this, but i think the elf that exist on the wiibrew page is for the 3.3 firm, not sure cuz' I did the install when I was already on 3.3, if in the wiibrew.org says it is for 3.2 too then you should ask for help on the forums over there, you might find the past version

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel
    http://hbc.hackmii.com/download/

if still nothing, then send me you mail and i'll send the elf
    ac127v-at-hotmail-dot-com

7. ChaosBoi
    OP

United States
    I'm running vista and when renaming files, it excludes the file extension so yes, I'm sure I didn't name it boot.elf.elf. And thanks ether. I'll check once more and if nothing still, I'll post back.

EDIT: Wait, those were the places I checked. It doesn't have an older version or so it seems. Here's my e-mail:

zeroph209(at)eml(dot)cc

EDIT 2: A video on youtube used HBC beta 8 to install on 3.2U so I'm pretty sure it isn't 3.3 only. I don't know what's wrong because the TH keeps telling me that the code could not be found or something like that when it tried to run boot.elf.

EDIT 3: Hm, I don't get it. I tried to run other homebrew files and I get the same results. Am I supposed to use an older version of the twilight hack? I'm currently using beta1, the one that works with 3.3U .

8. xtrem3x

Newcomer xtrem3x Member

United Kingdom
    I get that problem if I use a mircoSD card & adaptor.
    Use a normal SD card & it should work.

9. ChaosBoi
    OP

United States
    Ah, I see. The first time I used TH to run an snes emulator, it was on a 256MB mini-SD with SD card adapter. I guess I just gotta wait until I get my camera back from my sister [​IMG] .

10. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    i use a microsd combo and it works fine

but i guess it is with your current card that has a problem

11. ChaosBoi
    OP

United States
    My microSD card is a Kingston made in Thailand. It's the same one I'm using for my R4. I don't have a card reader on my PC so I can't use regular SD cards without my camera.

12. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    im using it for my r4 too

anyway have fun when you get hombrew running

13. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    maybe the filesystem is the problem, did you copied the twilight hack saves with that card over to your wii?

try reading photos and such from stock photo channel...

formatting (fat/fat32) and putting the elf may also solve the issue

ps: by the way new twilight hack is compatible with both old and new system menu versions (namely 3.3 and 3.2)

14. ChaosBoi
    OP

United States
    The SD card is already FAT16 (Or FAT). I've copied the saves from the card to my Wii through the Data management. And yeah, I already know beta 1 is compatible with both 3.2 and 3.3. I'm just basically doing the method that worked for me the first time, with the only difference being that I'm using a microSD instead of miniSD with an SD adapter this time.

EDIT: Aye, I figured it out! The problem was my Kingston microSD [​IMG] . I tried my bro's sandisk microSD and it worked!