Hacking Help for possibly bricked wii

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Well they're in the right place and I tried 2 different 2GB cards so... I don't know why it doesn't work. Can you think of anything else?
Well, that's odd. Other than what jonthedit says I don't know what could be making to send NO signal. You could try letting it sit for a moment to give it time to start up and then hit power and then reset and see if the HBC magically comes up (that's what you'd push to get it to bring if the homebrew channel if bootmii DID come up on the screen)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm at the homebrew channel right now, but I have one problem. None of my Wii remotes can connect to the wii for some reason. Any ideas?
Do you happen to have any gamecube controllers :wink: ?
Homebrew can't sync a new controller and whatever you removed must have deleted the system settings ... but JoostinOnline is really the expert in that area.

ßleck

Console Peasant
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you happen to have any gamecube controllers :wink: ?
Homebrew can't sync a new controller and whatever you removed must have deleted the system settings ... but JoostinOnline is really the expert in that area.

I don't have a gamecube controller... But there must be something I can do right? I'll try to concact JoostinOnline too then if we can't figure it out.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I don't have a gamecube controller... But there must be something I can do right? I'll try to concact JoostinOnline too then if we can't figure it out.
Yeah, you need some way to control it or you're not going to get much done.
without a a GC controller or a way to sync a wiimote the only thing you can control is bootmii itself. You could at least make a bootmii NAND backup while you're at it. I'm sure later you should be able to do something with that.
Also, do you happen to already have a bootmii NAND backup somewhere?

ßleck

Console Peasant
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anyway here is a list of what I might have possibly removed (Probably 99% of them):

1OS236.wad
cIOS16-v257.wad
cIOS30-v6174.wad
cIOS36-v3094.wad
cIOS50-v4889.wad
cIOS60-v6174.wad
cIOS70-v6174.wad
cIOS80-v6174.wad
System Menu-NUS-v450.wad (I did have System Menu-4.2E-v482.wad installed already though)
IOS38-64-v3867.wad
IOS53-64-v5406.wad
IOS55-64-v5406.wad

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Anyway here is a list of what I might have possibly removed (Probably 99% of them):

1OS236.wad
cIOS16-v257.wad
cIOS30-v6174.wad
cIOS36-v3094.wad
cIOS50-v4889.wad
cIOS60-v6174.wad
cIOS70-v6174.wad
cIOS80-v6174.wad
System Menu-NUS-v450.wad (I did have System Menu-4.2E-v482.wad installed already though)
IOS38-64-v3867.wad
IOS53-64-v5406.wad
IOS55-64-v5406.wad
Yeah, that'll do it. I think if you un-install one system menu WAD it'll get rid of any system menu you happen to have installed, no matter which one you had installed. Also, the IOS that the system menu uses is also on the list so even if you had the system menu it still wouldn't work.

By any chance is there anyone who'd be able to lend you a GC controller?
Or even going out and trying to find one cheap. Your game saves might be worth the money if you can find one cheap enough. ;)

ßleck

Console Peasant
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, that'll do it. I think if you un-install one system menu WAD it'll get rid of any system menu you happen to have installed, no matter which one you had installed. Also, the IOS that the system menu uses is also on the list so even if you had the system menu it still wouldn't work.

By any chance is there anyone who'd be able to lend you a GC controller?
Or even going out and trying to find one cheap. Your game saves might be worth the money if you can find one cheap enough. ;)

Good that you found the problem. But the controller problem is going to be the tough one. I don't think I know anyone who still has a gamecube controller and if I order anything it will probably arrive to late as I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow... I will still try to find one, but if you could come up with something else that would be awesome.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Good that you found the problem. But the controller problem is going to be the tough one. I don't think I know anyone who still has a gamecube controller and if I order anything it will probably arrive to late as I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow... I will still try to find one, but if you could come up with something else that would be awesome.
I'll keep thinking :/

Reactions: ßleck

ßleck

Console Peasant
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'll keep thinking :/
Anyway if I DO need to get a gamecube controller I'll have to do the rest of the fixing tomorrow (It's almost 2 in the morning here and I leave in the evening so I'll have time). If you could post the rest of the instructions for after I figure out how to navigate through the homebrew channel that'd be even more awesome.

I was also going to ask how I could safely perform the data transder but I guess that can wait. Thanks Maxternal for the huge amount of help, I'll be here for another hour searching for other solutions, but if nothing is found I'll be here tomorrow with a controller.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Anyway if I DO need to get a gamecube controller I'll have to do the rest of the fixing tomorrow (It's almost 2 in the morning here and I leave in the evening so I'll have time). If you could post the rest of the instructions for after I figure out how to navigate through the homebrew channel that'd be even more awesome.

I was also going to ask how I could safely perform the data transder but I guess that can wait. Thanks Maxternal for the huge amount of help, I'll be here for another hour searching for other solutions, but if nothing is found I'll be here tomorrow with a controller.
Instructions (off the top of my head):
1. go into the WAD manager and INSTALL (note: never UN-install anything again) the WAD's you have for ... well, for simplicity, install all those on that list.

(I'm not sure how well the system menu will work if it had been previously been un-installed like that ... but there are other ways to run a channel like the transfer tool or the shop channel so I think no big worries there)

2. get modmii for Windows and use it to download the WAD for the newest SHOP channel (on download page 1 in modmii classic ... not skin )

3. install it with a WAD manager

4. run it and download the transfer tool

(if your system menu is still not working, there's several other apps that can run channels. Gecko OS, WiiFlow, USBLoader GX, I think MMM and WiiMod, too. You can get a few of those through ModMii as well)

5. run transfer tool.

Reactions: ßleck

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that'll do it. I think if you un-install one system menu WAD it'll get rid of any system menu you happen to have installed, no matter which one you had installed.
There's the source of all Wii remotes not working. When you uninstall the System Menu, remotes won't sync. You can use bootmii as boot2 to load the Homebrew Channel (or cboot2 to load homebrew directly), but the remotes won't work. As to why that is, I don't have the slightest clue. Everything related to remote registration is in the shared2\sys\SYSCONF file, which isn't touched when you uninstall the SM.

I'm not sure why I stopped looking into it. I probably got distracted by an ice-cream truck or something, then moved on to something else.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
There's the source of all Wii remotes not working. When you uninstall the System Menu, remotes won't sync. You can use bootmii as boot2 to load the Homebrew Channel (or cboot2 to load homebrew directly), but the remotes won't work. As to why that is, I don't have the slightest clue. Everything related to remote registration is in the shared2\sys\SYSCONF file, which isn't touched when you uninstall the SM.

I'm not sure why I stopped looking into it. I probably got distracted by an ice-cream truck or something, then moved on to something else.
That's interesting (I stand corrected)

Do you know if just re-installing the system menu WAD would fix that then, if the settings are still there?

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Well they're in the right place and I tried 2 different 2GB cards so... I don't know why it doesn't work. Can you think of anything else?

Well, let's hear it. All I want is to perform the data transfer and it looks like I don't have too many options.

Well my method won't allow a data transfer... Infact all your data will be lost :|

Try formatting your SD card to FAT32.
If that doesn't work try exFAT or FAT

Edit: You've apparently solved the SD card issue.

For future reference, find letting me know what the formats on those two cards were as well as the brands and size?

Also: You can find generally find a used GC controller for $5 at a GameStop

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.