Smack

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My Wii is in rough shape right now. When I turn it on I get no video signal at all which leads me to believe I have a NAND brick based on SaveMii's flowchart.

I will describe the steps taken to get me in this mess, all in a failed attempt to play Punch Out
tongue.gif
Also I have a WiiKey v1 hard modded Wii if you are curious.

1. I followed ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 guide and performed the following steps
-Installed cIOS rev10
-Downgraded the IOS
-Downgraded to 3.2U

2. Now this is where I diverged from the guide. I was previously on Wannikoko's 4.0 but I was getting disc read errors with Punch Out so I decided to downgrade as in Step1 and try the on disc update which presumably upgraded me to 3.4U

3. Upon restarting the Wii the Green power light comes on, I can eject and insert DVD's but there is NO video output at all. I can't tell if there is sound cause with no Video my TV will no output sound. further the Wiimotes will not register with the system (other than being able to use one to turn the system on)

I presume I may get a banner brick as well as I know I have an offending piece of VC sitting on the Wii's HD. Everything else was moved to SD card when I was on 4.0. I have since tried the SaveMiiFree method of booting with no success. I have HBC installed but I am pretty sure I deleted the Twilight Hack save file so I could play the game normally.

Any suggestions on how to get myself out of this mess other than paying Nintendo to fix it? I certainly have no problem sending it their way but I would prefer not to. Thanks!

Smack

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
batwings21 said:
Did you by chance install BootMii? If not, you are probably s.o.l.
Of course I did not. In hindsight... urgh.

So at this point should I just phone nintendo, play mildly dumb and say my Wii is broken? I can remove my modchip no problem before I send it in even though there are perfectly legal here in Canada. I would rather not lose it to them though.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For future reference, disc read errors are disc read errors. Upgrading/downgrading your system menu will not get rid of them. It's simply a bad burn, the disc is scratched, or the Wii's laser hates your media of choice. Burn again. Perhaps different speed. Perhaps different media.

As for your current problem, by the sound of it I believe you're stuck with sending it to the big N. Sorry.

mydarxide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oops thats what I get for not reading the post fully.

Sense you have a hard modded wii have you tried the Homebrew channel disc? I haven't looked into it much because I don't have a chip but I think it allows you to boot the HBC from disc so you should be able to fix it with wadmanager from there. ( or at least thats what I am assuming)

kwirky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replace the main.dol with wad manager 1.4 dol and burn it to a disc. You should be able to restore the system menu or the ios.

Smack

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have not tried the Pink Fish disc yet and I don't think I can use the Twilight Autoloader because I replaced my legit save overtop of the hack so I could still play the game.

@imapterodactyl: I know but I found it strange it failed in exactly the same spots on multiple copies I burned. It doesn't excuse my idiocy but I thought I was missing some files required to make the game fully playable. This whole hindsight thing is a bitch
wink.gif

Calling big N tomorrow. This week sucks my car just got written off in a hit and run too
cry.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
This same thing can happen if you did this.

Installed pre-loader.
Set the menu IOS to the wrong one.
Set in pre-loader options to boot to menu.

IF you've done this power up holding reset and change things in pre-loader to get it working again.

But I saw no mention of preloader in your post, I'm just hoping for the best for you.

Smack

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks Slimmmmmm but yeah no pre-loader, no BootMii, no dice! lol

I just called Nintendo and so far so good. My Wii is from launch putting it well beyond its warranty period but the Customer Service Rep said they would bring it in under warranty. I guess for now till they find out otherwise.

They really didn't ask me many questions. I told them I updated via Punch-Out and then this happened. Never asked about any modification to the system software or hardware. Again I suppose once the technician gets their hands on this then the questions might arise.

What lesson did we learn? Install BootMii and backup your shit to avoid a situation like this!

Neku_Sakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bootmii is a very usefull utility so that you can get full protection and NAND backup and restore of the NAND! I love the program but i couldn't install a as a boot so i had to install as a seperate ios booted by the HBC but it is VERY useful.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
as you have installed a chip into the wii you can use an autoboot wad manager disc to boot wad manager and install system menu 3.2 and ios 30... and maybe you could use the dol forwarder autoboot disc to boot another dol like the hackmii installer...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello