OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I’ve rigged up a Kodi setup for my dad, and he loves it. But he has no idea how to use it. He’s calling me out to the living room every 20 minutes asking how to change the “channel”.

I’ve purchased two little mini keyboard remotes, but my dad does not know how to use a computer keyboard. He can only understand TV remotes. I’m hoping there’s a solid media remote that works wirelessly (Bluetooth preferred but I’ll take anything at this point) with Kodi/PC. Can anyone help me out?

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know, if it was me. Id be a total smart alec and set the launcher flag on android on yatse. if you have a trash android phone to spare that is totally doable. HE WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO USE THE KODI REMOTE APP with it. he would get locked out of all other phone nonsens.

would cut down on gaffes.

Reactions: Chary

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Keyboard or note is the first major distinction there.

I have had a good experience with the GMYLE MCE remote thing -- have one myself that I routinely throw on the floor, and have sold a bunch to others looking for such a thing. I don't use mine much for XBMC these days but it worked spectacularly with them back when. They also operate like most TV remotes of the CRT era really, albeit with a nice mouse button in the middle. That said they seem a bit old nowadays and harder to get.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
He’s not allowed to have a smartphone lol. Can’t operate it. Otherwise that’s a really smart idea.
Not allowed? He's a grown man.
Anyway, MCE remotes are generally pretty good, but you will have to do some custom key mapping to map all of the common Kodi tasks, and it doesn't have equivalent buttons for some actions in Kodi, so some of the mappings might not make perfect sense. But there is no made for Kodi remote that has dedicated buttons for all of the common tasks anyway to my knowledge. It's gonna take a while for him to get used to anyway, since streaming works differently from live TV and Kodi is not the easiest to use. But it helps to have the mappings set up well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily