HELP external HDD messes display

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rafaelia, Sep 11, 2014.

1. rafaelia
    OP

rafaelia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2010
    Super weird issue here,

So basically without the external HDD plugged in the image the Wii displays is crystal clear,

However as soon as the HDD is connected the image goes all fuzzy which is especially noticeable when the Wii displays anything dark.

The external HDD has it's own power source so it can't be messing up due to it using too much power from the Wii. Anybody know what the problem could be?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It could be a damaged video cable. I suggest trying a different cable. If you aren't using component cables, they might solve your problem.
    You should try a different USB cable as well so you can rule that out as having anything to do with the problem.

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    maybe the hdd is not shielded or\and is causing interference... i had a chinese battery charger which if i plugged next to my computer the monitor would go "crazzy"

try to connect the hdd to a laptop or something but dont move it away from the wii\tv

4. rafaelia
    OP

rafaelia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2010
    Okay so I already tried with a different video cable, I bought a new one because I thought it was the cable that was the issue (It's RGB) - it's exactly the same as before,
    Tired a different usb cable - still the same

Done what was suggested, I plugged the HDD into my laptop and kept it where it was - the wii displays normally - it only messes up if the HDD is plugged into it, funnily enough even when the HDD isn't powered on yet is plugged in to the wii there is some video interference albeit it's much worse with it powered on...

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    how about a usb pen drive? still does the same?

6. rafaelia
    OP

rafaelia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2010
    Nope, even tried a different external HDD and it's was fine :/

Edit -

I'm thinking the HDD enclosure I'm using is just faulty, I know the HDD inside it decent. I'm just going to buy a better one.

Note to others, steer clear of cheapo enclosures! The one I bought was a sliver 3.5 SATA enclosure, unbranded with just '3.5 inch external case' written on the side.

migles likes this.
  7. Nick3252

Nick3252 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2015
    Canada
    Is it a CRT? Magnetic surfaces screw up TV's