ROM Hack Help, error using godmode9 to build cia

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, I have a question. If I format in ntfs in windows explorer as my card in 128 gb, guiformat formats also in ntfs with no option to change. So what format does the card need to be in?

Windows File Explorer (if bigger than 32 GB, use NTFS
guiformat - FAT32 + 32 KB (32768)
You need to have FAT32 with 32kbs clusters for the card.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I have a question. If I format in ntfs in windows explorer as my card in 128 gb, guiformat formats also in ntfs with no option to change. So what format does the card need to be in?

Guiformat only formats to fat32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The SD card needs to be in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size. Since yours is a 128 GB (or bigger), you may elect to reformat it instead in FAT32 + 64 KB cluster size for a slight read/write speed gain.
  • (1) SD Memory Card Formatter and (2) Windows File Explorer do not reformat SD cards bigger than 32 GB in FAT32; just pick NTFS.
  • (3) guiformat does allow reformatting any sized cards in FAT32 only formats in FAT32 for any sized cards. There may be a hiccup where guiformat won't reformat. If that happens, reformat again in Windows File Explorer and then try guiformat once more.
  • (4) Lastly, finishing touches with MiniTool Partition Wizard (free edition).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Aj3537

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So I did fat32 with 64kb and it’s in h2testw now. It says 6 hours to complete the write.

When done, I’ll copy everything back on and test. I hope this works.

Since I couldn’t get it’s card or the original 4gb card to work, what are the chances at both cards aren’t formatted properly?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok. So I did fat32 with 64kb and it’s in h2testw now. It says 6 hours to complete the write.

Since I couldn’t get it’s card or the original 4gb card to work, what are the chances at both cards aren’t formatted properly?
Well. The 3ds would spit errors left and right saying it couldnt read the sd card if they were not formatted correctly.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

During the later half of the Verify phase, you may stop the test early if H2testw lights up in red or [BAD], which means that card needs to be retired and replaced with another that passes or comes back green or [GOOD].
  • h2testw_results-png.210862
For the 4 GB card, you probably couldn't dump the game cart as a .CIA because the card doesn't have enough free space.

Aj3537

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the card is bad.

im going to test the original 4gb card now.

Attachments

• D542ECC8-1E56-45C6-8B6C-703B6A43FC4A.jpeg
    D542ECC8-1E56-45C6-8B6C-703B6A43FC4A.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 407

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So the card is bad.

im going to test the original 4gb card now.
Classic fake SD. Pretends to have 128GB but only has 16GB real. No wonder this thing didn't work.

If the 4GB does not fail the test, please try dumping a small game on that.

Aj3537

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friendly reminder that you MUST buy SD cards from trusted retailers that offer good warranty and refunds in case that something goes wrong.

Let's hope that the SD card was the real culprit and you are able to dump your games.

The sd card came from the person I paid to modify the 3ds for an extra $35. The card says it’s a Samsung evo 128 gb, green colored chip.

By the way, the original 4gb chip won’t even format in any program but windows.

I’m going to bestbuy in a few hours and I’ll get a 256 sd card for $50 on sale and see if I can get it to work tonight.

But know I know and have proof I got scammed by the person on Etsy and can follow up with them.

Aj3537

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your help. I bought a new card, Lexar 256 gb. I did the quad format and left a 64 kB. I did the H2testw and it came out fine. I was able to put the files back on with no issues and am currently building my 1st cia, fingers crossed. Hopefully, I’ll have Pokémon Ultra Sun in about 20 minutes.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your help. I bought a new card, Lexar 256 gb. I did the quad format and left a 64 kB. I did the H2testw and it came out fine. I was able to put the files back on with no issues and am currently building my 1st cia, fingers crossed. Hopefully, I’ll have Pokémon Ultra Sun in about 20 minutes.
Thank you for asking for clarifications about tasks/steps you weren't sure of and for not being dismissive about reformatting and hardware testing the SD card.

For someone who says she's green when it comes to computer stuff, I want to personally commend that you're ahead of the crowd compared to some other newcomers I've seen starting out with 3DS homebrew / custom firmware. I think you'll get far and have a enjoyable experience with that pikachu n3DSXL.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.