[Help] Decrypting TwlNandFiler.cia

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by MassExplosion213, Jul 20, 2015.

1. MassExplosion213
    OP

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Ok GBATemp, this probably seems like a stupid question, but how do you decrypt TwlNandFiler.cia? I have the dev keys (Extracted from the SDK, matches the verified SHA1) but ctrtool refuses to cooperate. Everything works fine until it tries to open the out file. On the last two lines, it always says "Saving certs to Error opening out file"

2. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    according some sources, it seems that this app is only ussable through a Dev Unit, and can be decrypted only using xorpads generated with a devUnit.

3. MassExplosion213
    OP

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    In another thread I heard that @Apache Thunder got it decrypted with the dev key and ctrtool. The thread is pretty old though...

4. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Yeah, I know, that is the dev key I was talking about, and only dev units have that.

5. MassExplosion213
    OP

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Someone in that thread posted the ctrtool command to decrypt it. It was
    Code:
    ctrtool --commonkey=*Insert dev key here* --contents=out *Insert dev cia name here*

6. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    You should ask for the dev key then, maybe apache Thunder can help you :).

7. MassExplosion213
    OP

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    I have the dev key. That isn't the problem. ctrtool is not able to open the out file.

8. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    oh well, then It might be the ctr tool, make sure you're using latest build (?). Also make sure you have the right TWLNandFiler.

9. MassExplosion213
    OP

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Do you have a compiled version of it? I feel like it may be my compiled version.

10. Twili

Twili Banned

Banned
    Mar 20, 2014
    United States
  11. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Yes I have decrypted the CIA using the dev common key that was leaked a long time ago. Unfortunately you're wasting your time. Currently TwlNandfiler (to my knowledge) does not boot on retail TWL FIRM. It's either because the SRL isn't encrypted properly (not the same as the encryption used on the CIA. It's the encryption DSi games had before the 3DS was around) or uses dev RSA sigs that retail TWL FIRM does not support. That or it could be both those issues.

You'll just get a black screen error when you attempt to boot it. Also, on normal retail units, "system" DSiWare apps like TwlNandFiler (and things like the DSi eShop, DSi Sound Applicion, etc) won't show up on home menu. You can launch TwlNandFiler from DevMenu. Infact it's the only other system app I know of besides the browser that shows up in newer DevMenu. If you had installed other DSi system apps however you'll need something like FBI to launch them or a really old DevMenu.

As for TwlNandFiler....give up on it. Unless someone patches TWL FIRM or leaks dev version of it, you won't be running that one anytime soon.