Help buying Acekard

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by bigboss50, Jul 8, 2010.

Jul 8, 2010

Help buying Acekard by bigboss50 at 11:55 PM (924 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. bigboss50
    OP

Newcomer bigboss50 Member

United Kingdom
    I am thinking of buying an Acekard but I have this problem with the R4 and I wanted to know would an Acekard work or is something wrong with the DS?

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Provided your MicroSD card is fine, yes it work work with the Acekard 2. I'd recommened you get the Acekard 2i as both the Acekard 2.1 and 2i will work on the DS Phat/ Lite, and it's always handy to have the DSi cart as i'd imagine there will be some good sales on the DSi XL soon due to the 3DS.

What I would do is create a directory on your harddisk. Fill that directory up with some files so that if you copy them to your MicroSD card it will fill the the card up. Download quickpar2 from this site http://www.quickpar.org.uk/ and use it to create some parity files for the files in this directory. Format the MicroSD with the Panasonic SD formatter and then copy the contents of the directory to your MicroSD card along with one of the par2 files. Once copied goto your MicroSD card and open the par2 file with quickpar, it will verify the files are good and 100% readable.

You say in the other thread both your MicroSD cards are 2Gb, have you thought about getting another R4? The ones on ShopTemp are $6 including a case/ MicroSD card reader and run Wood, which has the same interface as the Acekard.

3. bigboss50
    OP

United Kingdom
    I have thought about R4 but I'm just worried the problem I have would repeat. Thanks for the help I'll think about it just scared it will fail if I get an R4

4. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    None of these flashcarts really last forever you know.
    My old R4 has been falling apart since my brother started using it, my old Acekard developed some contact issues, my old CycloDS can no longer be updated, my EZ Flash 3in1 has been acting up at times.
    Actually my only flashcart that's stood the test of time is my trusty Supercard lite!

Sometimes they just eventually expire, and it's time to buy a new one. Infact, the same is even true of the DS, I used my White DS lite so much, I had to get a new Silver DS lite!

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Not all R4's are the same.
    There is a -LOT- of fakes out there that are R4 in name only, and many have low build quality.

The R4's from ShopTemp aren't real R4's (no one has the official R4 anymore), but it's a 1:1 clone and has the same build quality. This will allow you to run WoodR4, which is similar to AKAIO in functionality and compatibility and far better than official R4 Firmware or YSMenu.
    I have both an R4 (first batch of the non-spring loaded ones) running Wood 1.10 and it works amazingly well.
    I also have an AceKard 2i with AKAIO 1.17 which I use as my primary card since it supports SHDC cards.

In terms of outward physical build quality, I have to say the R4 feels a bit better.
    But overall... AceKard is the winner in my book. It's faster and supports SDHC.

6. bigboss50
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for all the help guys I've gone for a R4 from shoptemp