A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yo guys. my desktop randomly got a blue screen of death. i tried going on safe mode, and last known good configuration and neither worked! reinstalling windows is not an option at this time.

it said: unmountable boot volume

thx in advance.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Next time you have BSOD make a note of the error code
Blue-screen-2.jpg

The code in the red boxes. Post it and i can help you fix it.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Lee79 said:
Next time you have BSOD make a note of the error code
Blue-screen-2.jpg

The code in the red boxes. Post it and i can help you fix it.

kk well i have the first one, i'll go get the second one.

EDIT: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Technical Info:

***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82355860, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
1. Make sure the computer is set to BOOT from the CD-ROM or DVD-R drive. If this has not yet been done you will need to configure the computer to boot from the CD-ROM or DVD-R drive in BIOS. Guide to Boot from DVD-R drive

2. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM(disc) into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

3. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM(disc).

4. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.
(I do not think you need this part so skip it)

6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
* Note: If you do not have one, just press ENTER.

7. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and then press ENTER.

8. Once it has completed, type exit, and then press the ENTER key to quit Recovery Console.

9. Take your Windows XP CD-ROM(disc) out of your CD-ROM/DVD-R drive and restart your PC.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ok sry i keep multi posting, but i gotta bump this.

k so i obtained an illegial windows xp. i did wat u said, and it worked. then i decided to pop the cd in, and update my sp1 to sp3. updating had a few issues (it restarted a few times), but it finished. however now, when i turn on the computer, before the loading xp thing shows up, the comp just restarts. i pressed f5, and disabled automatic restart on system failure, and i got this bsod message:

Technical info:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A5C528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

is it possible that the copy of windows i obtained was corrupted/fake/virus? or is this a new problem?

EDIT: and i retried wat u said earlier, but it didn't fix anything.

EDIT 2: o and the bsod recommends i run chkdsk /f (instead of r). should i try that?

EDIT 3: ok chkdsk /f didn't work, i guess it was a fuckin typo >.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
p1ngpong said:
I think you might have completely corrupted you windows installation by the sounds of it!
frown.gif

yeah looks like it. it's very strange, i don't get bsods anymore. but whenever i turn on the computer, it loads xp, and goes into xp setup (updating it). and it won't let me cancel. so i let it sit there for about 30 mins, and just before it finishes, the computer would restart and the bsod is back. so yeah i guess the windows is corrupted >.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I would try and reinstall XP completely first, dont format or repair your current installation, just make a complete fresh instalation, if that dosent work it must be your copy of XP.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The bad thing about trying to get some copies of pirated XP is that there are fifty billion different rips or whatnot on the net. Some of them will be missing some files (I remember downloading one that even came with a folder you were supposed to put back into the ISO. ...huh?!), or other junk...yeah. I lucked out by having the school offer XP here for $30 new, but it's a once-per-lifetime purchase, and I ran out of CD-key uses on my first copy. Yeah...

That reminds me. Even though I have no way to work around the CD-key issue, I should look into trying to copy my XP disc(s). Let me guess, there's some form of copy-protection on the discs so I can't easily do the job myself?

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
There are some really excellent custom built "ultimate" versions of XP out there on the net. These arent cd but dvd iso's with a ton of features pre-installed on them, and they dont usually need a cd key or anything!

But of course you cant go wrong with a legit copy paid for in a store!

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
There are some really excellent custom built "ultimate" versions of XP out there on the net. These arent cd but dvd iso's with a ton of features pre-installed on them, and they dont usually need a cd key or anything!

But of course you cant go wrong with a legit copy paid for in a store!
Apart from the fact that that costs money. =P But yeah, I know what you mean.

Also, random comment about how computers aren't shipped with recovery discs anymore. So I happened to burn the two DVDs for my tower a few years ago when it was still running, and oh my God was that a nightmare. So I tried to save something in Paint. It'd hang on the Save As... screen. And Open too! Not to mention the entire thing was excessively slow...

So that led to me getting XP from school. It'd be nice if I could have more than one copy (which I do, since I had to use a friend as a proxy) since XP is still around three times the price I paid for it at school when it's in the retail stores. That or it's completely off the market now with Microsoft forcing Vista on us.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.