[Help] Adding a banner to an update mod?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by HelpTheWretched, Jun 11, 2017.

1. HelpTheWretched
    OP

HelpTheWretched Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    I've been working on a game mod for Zedla: Tri Force Heroes, which you can see here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-the-legend-of-zelda-tri-force-heroes-purple-link.467658/

The mod is done on the game's V2.1.0 update / DLC, which basically layers a filesystem with some new & updated files over the "base" game. The CIA of the update is extracted & rebuilt using HackingToolkit3DS by @Asia81.

I just made an edited banner (HOME Menu animation) for the game, and it works when I modify the "base" game with the new banner and install that. However, I'd like to make this banner part of the mod and put in with the V2.1.0 update.

The update does not normally include a banner. I've tried adding a /ExtractedBanner folder with the modified banner files when rebuilding the CIA, and I've also tried manually editing banner.bin with a hex editor and placing it in the update's /ExtractedExeFS, which as I said, doesn't normally include a banner.bin file. In both cases, the updated banner was not included when I rebuilt the CIA.

So I'm wondering, if it's even possible - what part of the decrypted update must be edited in order for it to recognize and include the edited banner.bin? I'm assuming it's one of the Header files but I'm completely lost!