help about r4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by irishgamer, Jun 19, 2011.

Jun 19, 2011

help about r4 by irishgamer at 6:54 PM (1,140 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. irishgamer
    OP

Newcomer irishgamer Newbie

Ireland
    i am new here so forgive me if this is in the wrong section. i have a nintendo ds lite (eu) and am going to get a r4 card for it. but when i looked on this site about it i see a lott of phrases like 'gold' and 'wood' and 'patched'. could someone tell me what it means and also what would be the best type of card to get. also can you use action replay on it

2. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    gold, is the R4i Gold. this is a clone that supports a modified version of wood firmware
    wood, is unofficial firmware created by ywg (yellow wood goblin) that gets updates very often for new games to work on the r4. the original r4 team was sued years ago, so they cant make new firmware for the flashcart. thats why ywg made wood.
    patched, means to apply something to a rom to make it work on cards that are older and less supported. this goes usually through an executable on windows. this is almost never needed for wood. every patch is different for every game, by the way. if you applied something to the rom (fix, translation, hack, whatever) it is a 'patched' rom.

firmware is the menu that launches games.
    a rom (read only memory) is where the game data is stored (on retail cartridges). the name is also used for NDS files (downloaded games).

3. irishgamer
    OP

Ireland
    thanks Sausage Head. can action replay work on it though. also what type of card is the best for ds lit

4. Sausage Head

Netherlands
    the best card would be either the acekard 2i if you want just games (it uses akaio. wood is based on akaio so you have the same interface, but you dont need to update very often)
    or the supercard DSTWO. you never need updates and you can play gba games on the exclusive emulator. however it lacks some basic functions like proper touch control and it cant read cheat code descriptions.

action replay is available on every flashcart that can play nds games. at cheats.gbatemp.net there is a cheat database (you will need usrcheat.dat for the r4 and the supercard. i dont know for the acekard 2i) that includes the latest action replay codes for almost every game. you can also manually add cheats from the official action replay code website, codejunkies.

for more information about some subjects i just told, you can just search them on google.

5. irishgamer
    OP

Ireland
    thanks again Sausage Head. does anyone know where to buy one in ireland (meath) (might as well give it a chance) ??

6. Sausage Head

Netherlands
    which one would you like to buy?

7. irishgamer
    OP

Ireland
    the acekard 2i sounds good. i was looking it up earlier

8. Sausage Head

Netherlands
    product page

i recommend not buying from the 'cheapest', most of the time shipping will take long.
    ZhuZhuChina is a trusted shop, but i heard there were a few problems with the paypal account (it was shut down). just check if there's a payment method you like and if not, LighTake is the most trusted in order of price. i ve heard many positive reviews about them, and they also have a GBAtemp account (zhuzhuchina too, by the way). i cant remember if the shipping was fast though, so check on the shop's page on shoptemp for reviews about them.

as for other shops, mostly the 'cheapest', very often fake reviews turn up. click on a review's author to go to their gbatemp account. check for the amount of posts, the sign-up date and the last-seen date. if the sign up date is equal to the last-seen date, it could be a fake account. if the amount of posts is zero, its confirmed to be a fake. press the red '!' button to inform a staff member about the fake review if that's the case

9. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Also, let me add onto this.

The Acekard2i does not support .gba files without that crap emulator that can only play 2mb games and under. Since you have a DS Lite, you can buy a separate product with the Acekard2i called the EZ-Flash 3in1, if you wish to load GBA games from your Slot-1 flash cart.

10. irishgamer
    OP

Ireland
    if you use the emulator on the acekard 2i for gba can it play games good enough or will it be laggy or slow or what

11. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    its like 1/2 fps and can only support games less than 2mb.

12. irishgamer
    OP

Ireland
    and what is the framerate on the gameboy

13. Sausage Head

Netherlands
    the game's framerate on a true GBA, you mean?
    I don't know, really, but i'ts absolutely more than 1 frame per second.
    if the frames per second is 1, the game would only show the next frame after every second.

AKA laggy as hell.
    like playing minecraft on a SNES

14. irishgamer
    OP

Ireland
    then what is the EZ-Flash 3in1 like

15. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    The EZ-Flash 3in1 plays GBA games at full speed, with a few exceptions where some games run a tad slower when a lot of sprites get on the screen. Besides the slight lag on a few games, it's like playing the actual cartridge. There ARE a few rare times where the save battery will die relatively fast, but most of the time it plays well and lasts a good long time.

Though some games will have to be flashed directly to the cartridge due to the game having a relatively large filesize (like Golden Sun) or random errors (I once couldn't play a Pokemon hack unless I flashed it to the cartridge, despite it being well under the size that would require flashing to the cartridge).

It's a very easy little thing to use, as all of the features are used directly with your Slot-1 flash card. You won't have to access slot-2 separately to tune some things.

You can also use the 3in1 as the RAM extension cartridge for the NDS Browser (European version only) and various homebrew.

Also, there's an extremely useless rumble feature that not many games supported.