Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc of Time

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I travel a lot. I've had a 3DS for a while and it's traveled a lot with me... trusty companion while waiting at airports, buses, hotel lobbies etc. I mostly played DS games on it with a DSTwo card. When the gateway card came out I was excited as my kit was on firmware version 4.5 exactly. Decided to wait until I was back in Australia to get a Gateway (I've been living in Asia), it was gonna be a real treat to look forward to.

So I took a short trip last week and my 3DS was stolen out of my bag by airport staff. While I almost always have it on me, and if not it's in locked bags, due to a series of unexpected events I had to put it through checked baggage in an unlocked bag. Some uneducated third world baggage-boy is probably failing to figure out how to turn the thing on right now.

This really hurts as the 3DS had sentimental value but mostly because I may not now be able to get a system + gateway card.

I don't really keep up with the scene these days so could you experts give me a little advice?

Do any of the 3DS XL systems come with 4.5 or lower firmware? Is it possible to get Gateway working with the XL? (if I have to buy a new one, would prefer it to be an XL)

If so, is it still possible to buy said systems anywhere in Australia or perhaps SE Asia? I'm pushing it, but any tips on specific shops in Melbourne, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore etc that might carry units with the old firmware?

Really appreciate any help with this as I've been a grumpy bastard since it happened and would love some good news.
Cheers

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most systems that are copyrighted 2012 on the package have 4.5 or lower. Sorry for your loss. Always travel with portables on carry on or in your pocket.

darkseekerliu

Advanced Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Man, I am really sorry for your loss. I understand we can buy other things if they are stolen, but when we have "feelings" for them, it is really bad when someone take it away from us...

Hope some 3ds guy can answer your question about the firmware...

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
like people above me said if you find a box with copyright 2012 (best luck on small shops on rural places maybe...) you can also try to get a second hand one from ebay... people usually advertise it as 4.5 or gatway compatible...

there will be a new 3ds, with upgraded hardware and buttons etc (its a 3ds 2) if you can wait a while.... it will come on the end of the year IIRC but this new 3ds will have last (or separated version) firmware...

if i were you i would wait until the new gets released... it is "better" on everything...

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like people above me said if you find a box with copyright 2012 (best luck on small shops on rural places maybe...) you can also try to get a second hand one from ebay... people usually advertise it as 4.5 or gatway compatible...

there will be a new 3ds, with upgraded hardware and buttons etc (its a 3ds 2) if you can wait a while.... it will come on the end of the year IIRC but this new 3ds will have last (or separated version) firmware...

if i were you i would wait until the new gets released... it is "better" on everything...
But how will he pirate in the meantime?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
But how will he pirate in the meantime?

then you are the disgusting of individual who think a console is only worth it if you can play free games

btw "traveled a lot with me... trusty companion while waiting at airports, buses, hotel lobbies etc."
traveling costs money and for traveling you either earn money doing it or have a lot of money for doing so, according to this, i can think he does have some bucks for a couple of games
plus with the price of the gateway+shippement, he can get about 3 games (4 or more if you count a 32gb+ memory card) if he gets preowned games or good deals...

but i am not here to judge people and tell they are rich or not. he decides about what he will do. i just told him another option he maybe didn't knew, which is to wait until the new 3ds gets out and get a superior console....

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then you are the disgusting of individual who think a console is only worth it if you can play free games

btw "traveled a lot with me... trusty companion while waiting at airports, buses, hotel lobbies etc."
traveling costs money and for traveling you either earn money doing it or have a lot of money for doing so, according to this, i can think he does have some bucks for a couple of games
plus with the price of the gateway+shippement, he can get about 3 games (4 or more if you count a 32gb+ memory card) if he gets preowned games or good deals...

but i am not here to judge people and tell they are rich or not. he decides about what he will do. i just told him another option he maybe didn't knew, which is to wait until the new 3ds gets out and get a superior console....
You obviously have never seen my posts and views on the Gateway/similar devices.

I don't support a device used primarily for piracy that has used malicious code in the past. The irony of a company not wanting their code reverse engineered while that's exactly what they did to create their product is lost on most people. "Homebrew" is one thing, and I await that particular exploit with curiousity. However regardless of his income, the questions he asked pretty much stated his intent, and that's why I commented how I did. Your suggestion is valid, but it appears he does not wish to wait for a similar exploit to be found on the new hardware.

Reactions: migles

Arc of Time

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies all. I'll look around and see if I can find a replacement.

One more question... if I buy a new one in Southeast Asia is it correct I won't be able to play Australian retail carts? I have a few games already...

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
A lot of talking lol Don't want to quote the whole thing lol

Income always plays a big role in people's lives. Just because you have the money to do whatever you want means the person sitting next to you does. Pirating is in no way a terrible crime since very few people even do it. It doesn't sound like he has another console or if he does he only has one. Video games are already extremely hard to pirate so Nintendo and Microsoft make enough money from the profits of the people who can buy them at full price. In the end of the day we can have nice things because 75% of people pay full price and companies don't have to hold everything hostage or we can have everyone be Sony and lock up features due to a very small number of people exploiting things.

Sony is the only company that does this and I would rather keep it that way.... PS3 got the Other OS taken away and the Vita got locked into just cart games and exclusive memory cards. This was likely due to the PS3 having a small opening in the Other OS for hacks and the PSP with its huge hacking scene. Besides Microsoft releasing their Xbox One, Sony likely rushed the PS4 due to the PS3 scene opening up again. Nintendo and Microsoft takes baby steps to block things. The "New" 3DS is one of those since they likely have no way of finding out how to stop Gateway so they updated the console to stop it or really just delay it for now.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Income always plays a big role in people's lives. Just because you have the money to do whatever you want means the person sitting next to you does. Pirating is in no way a terrible crime since very few people even do it. It doesn't sound like he has another console or if he does he only has one. Video games are already extremely hard to pirate so Nintendo and Microsoft make enough money from the profits of the people who can buy them at full price. In the end of the day we can have nice things because 75% of people pay full price and companies don't have to hold everything hostage or we can have everyone be Sony and lock up features due to a very small number of people exploiting things.

Sony is the only company that does this and I would rather keep it that way.... PS3 got the Other OS taken away and the Vita got locked into just cart games and exclusive memory cards. This was likely due to the PS3 having a small opening in the Other OS for hacks and the PSP with its huge hacking scene. Besides Microsoft releasing their Xbox One, Sony likely rushed the PS4 due to the PS3 scene opening up again. Nintendo and Microsoft takes baby steps to block things. The "New" 3DS is one of those since they likely have no way of finding out how to stop Gateway so they updated the console to stop it or really just delay it for now.

That's....incredibly bad logic in there. So, Ferrari makes enough profit from people who buy their cars so I can just go grab one for free?

Piracy is not a physical theft, but an intellectual one in this case, and frankly this conversation has been done to death. I have more respect for those who don't try to badly justify what they are doing than those who do.

Arc of Time

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. That's mighty progressive of you.... *sarcasm* Pfft. Typical Australian. (see that doesn't feel too good being judged from where you come from right?)

Well it doesn't bother me being judged by some random guy on the internet to be honest :)

I have a lot of local friends in this particular country. Some people there have the mindset that because someone comes from a 'western' country that they're automatically rich and can be taken advantage of. Some uneducated poor people would run down the road to give you back a wallet full of money if you left it in their shop. This case in particular angered me as if your job that you're paid to do is to get someone's baggage safely from a to b, stealing people's belongings instead is pretty ******* up.

Mulder_RLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well it doesn't bother me being judged by some random guy on the internet to be honest :)

I have a lot of local friends in this particular country. Some people there have the mindset that because someone comes from a 'western' country that they're automatically rich and can be taken advantage of. Some uneducated poor people would run down the road to give you back a wallet full of money if you left it in their shop. This case in particular angered me as if your job that you're paid to do is to get someone's baggage safely from a to b, stealing people's belongings instead is pretty ******* up.

That doesn't mean you can judge whoever just because you lost a console... Or Australians don't work in airports? Like you said, there are several kinds of people.
It's the same thing saying that real Australians are thieves because Australia was a British Penal colony back in the day. It just don't make sense.

Arc of Time

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That doesn't mean you can judge whoever just because you lost a console... Or Australians don't work in airports? Like you said, there are several kinds of people.
It's the same thing saying that real Australians are thieves because Australia was a British Penal colony back in the day. It just don't make sense.

Well actually I can judge anyone... whenever I want. Will you, random internet dude #678655889 file an injunction to stop me from making judgements on people? (hint, the answer is no).

But beat that dead horse a little more if you're enjoying it :)

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I've read your story, very sad indeed, sorry to here that, I really hope you had a parental lock on it!!! ;) Just make sure if you are buying one of ebay, a selling site, you ask the seller if it has got a green Miiverse icon in the top right hand corner and if it has don't buy it, it means its been partially updated past 4.5.0 and cannot be used with a gateway card and trust me it sounds like a few of those are floating around on selling sites at the moment. Goodluck in your quest!

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should have closed this thread earlier, as its basically begging for people to feel sorry for the OP. Now, i dont think anyone does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.