Hello, some guidance please

notaclue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, my first visit - hope Im not being a pain.
blink.gif

I have lots of questions regarding DS R4 card... could someone please point me in the right direction for these to be on the correct section. Thank you

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
R4DS Section of GBAtemp

Welcome.
happy.gif

If you have an R4, all the Info you need should be there (check the stickies first) - Oh, and check the Wiki Page too!

If you're thinking of getting an R4, the general (though, not absolute) opinion among the users is "Don't". Although if you read the Reviews Section you'll probably determine for yourself that there are better cards.

Enjoy yourself here!
yaynds.gif

notaclue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello

Well I have bought an R4 card which I really (honest Ive not a clue on things really), got what I thought was genuine but since feel it could possibly not be - it plays fine, but takes a 8gb card which sites say point to it being fake..... so Not sure if continuing to use it will screw up the DS. But I will go to the forum you say and have a look as Ive lots of probs with the Second R4. and am looking to purchase something else. thanks lisa

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not a problem Lisa. ^^"

If a card with an R4 label on it can read MicroSDHC (>2GB) cards, then it *is* a fake/clone. They aren't necessarily malicious, but many users regard them to be made from poorer quality components, which could potentially damage the DS (although most likely it would just fritz itself and your MicroSD).

I can sort of understand why people are still buying/using R4s, because not too long ago (roughly a year and a half) the R4 was practically the best on the market. This is not the case however, as even if you can get hold of a genuine R4 (which is hard enough, considering they aren't made anymore, and there are so many fakes/clones), its features are slim (no enhanced features, relatively dated GUI, limited/buggy cheat support, no support for SDHC cards etc.), and it is having compatibility issues with newer games (because the firmware developers no longer operate, and as such there will be no more official R4 updates/fixes).
I think I can speak for the majority of Tempers that it would be very much in your interests to research getting a newer card. Check the Reviews section for info about particularly the Acekard 2, the CycloDS Evolution, and the M3 DS Real. I use an EZ-Flash V myself, but I've got an Acekard coming through the post soon (to satisfy my User Interface prettiness desires until the EZTeam release a new loader, as they have hinted at recently). Most flashcarts can be gotten from DealExtreme for very reasonable prices (except the CycloDS Evolution, which is only available elsewhere, and is relatively expensive).

Anyway, good luck with your GBAtemp lurking and browsing.
biggrin.gif

~ Adam

notaclue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you - very much appreciated - yes perhaps buying cheap in this instance was not the way to go, but Im so unfamilar with all this I am typically caught with getting stuff wrong. thank you for helping me. Lisa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny