Headphone Jack Documentation, Please!

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by diingus, Jan 30, 2016.

1. diingus
    OP

diingus Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    I had the idea of creating a homebrew application to serve as a radio receiver, the range doesn't matter, unless since I'm planning on just making a POC. (though it would be cool if it could receive WiFI or satellite signals with headphones)

Before I go any further, I did not read any homebrew library's code.

My question is, can we read the variation in the voltage of the jack, and use it to receive radio signals? Is it hardwarely or softwarely possible?

2. einhuman197

einhuman197 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2015
    Germany
    Inside your bootloader (´◉◞౪◟◉)
    3ds doesn't have a radio Chip, so no.

3. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    The Jack doesn't has a component to receive "Signals" including radio ones so no it may be impossible but if your using wifi that's a completely different story

4. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    His idea sounds plausible, however, it is a headphone port. Now a microphone port...

5. Ailuros27

Ailuros27 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    I had a Sony Ericsson phone once that used the headphones for exactly this purpose. The problem is it had an FM tuner inside the phone to decode these signals. I have no idea if a piece of software could do that properly without accompanying hardware.

6. Rosselman

Rosselman Spooky Skeleton

Oct 29, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Santiago
    Pretty sure the 3DS doesn't have a FM decoder. Internet Radio is very possible though.

7. diingus
    OP

diingus Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    Software analog to digital converters are possible, although slower than dedicated chips for a small amount.
    The only issue here is to measure the variations of voltage on the jack to actually see the magnetic field.

Also, a radio transmitter would also be cool, but I don't think you'd be able to send such a strong current out the jack without a hard mod.