HDMI Selector?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by godreborn, Jan 12, 2019.

1. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    any suggestions? I'm trying to connect a switch and a cable box to a tv, so that's two inputs, and one output, right? I also need it to be hdcp compliant, since my cable box requires it; thanks.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    There are hundreds of HDMI switches available for sale pretty much everywhere, just find anything in your budget really and buy it.

If you aren't close enough to your TV to hit the button yourself, you can grab something like this that has a remote: https://www.amazon.com/Hornbill-Switcher-Selector-Wireless-Supports/dp/B07L3SWJCQ <

If you are, there are tons of cheaper ones that just have buttons on the top that you hit to swap inputs manually ie: https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Bi-Directional-Switch-Switcher-Splitter/dp/B07C3VPF7K/ <

godreborn likes this.
  3. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    alright, I bought a bidirectional selector. I had accidentally bought one with two outputs and one input, so I was hoping not to make that mistake again.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    On HDCP then many a Chinese box will strip it.

If you have the bidirectional one then if you have it and returning it is not an option you can flog it on the selling bit here -- such toys are most appreciated by those capturing video and playing at the same time.

godreborn likes this.
  5. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2007
    Two additions, as said before, some (in this case not most) chinese hdmi switches will strip HDCP, more expensive models might even strip newer HDCP 2.* (there are different versions).

(With splitters its more easy to tell, because, those usually have to - the same with an HDMI selector thingy that offers audio out. To get that they have to strip HDCP.)

Also - you might search on ebay for : 4-Port HDMI Switch with PIP IR Wireless Remote Control

Those are actually pretty nice, since they add PIP (picture in picture) as well (two modes are actually useful - and they offer different transparency overlay options). Audio is always stuck to whatever signal produces the "big image", unless you add HDMI to HDMI Audio Extractor Splitter HDCP 1.4 Toslink 3.5mm then you get (stereo or fingers crossed more) audio out of another device. :)

Both together - under 50 bucks. :) (With the usual 4 weeks shipping time from china)

Last edited by notimp, Jan 12, 2019
    godreborn likes this.