#3dBRAT

OP
Trophies
Website
www.whydoyoucare
XP
Country
United States
That's the problem though, all homebrew besides the hbc itself reads usbs just fine
And backups work fine on it, also 1.1.3 isn't a fix.... Wtf
I'm going to test the drives on my Wii I to ensure that it's the Wii itself

Last edited by #3dBRAT,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1.1.3 is just a recompiled version of 1.1.2, but with titleID OHBC instead (Opensource HBC), nothing different, except a fix for vWii widescreen detection.

You said you have a WiiU ?
then that's how you verify if the problem is your console. Try the same setup (device and hbc version) on vwii.

You already tried different devices on your Wii.
different HBC version.
different IOS58 version.

You have this to try now:
did you try different Wiimote? (are they official ? do you have any other device connected or powered ?)
did you try another console?

#3dBRAT

OP
Trophies
Website
www.whydoyoucare
XP
Country
United States
"Woulda look at that" engineer tf2
Looks like it is the drive itself... Could it be as simple as the formatting application I use? (Rufus?)
Using windows stock formatter has failed which makes me scared that my drive is dying or something, I'm 1000% positive that this drive used to work on my older wiis so what could be hindering it from working now? I have it in ntfs and 32kb cluster....what am I doing wrong?
EDIT: Trying windows 10 formatter with the file system of fat32 and the default allocation size and a non quick format...will post with results...

Attachments

• IMG_20180809_140313.jpg
    IMG_20180809_140313.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by #3dBRAT,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry that it happens on vWii too, which means it's your hardware.
but you said you tried different drives, so it's strange all of them broke at the same time.

you format without "quick" option? it could takes hours. good luck.

Last edited by Cyan,

#3dBRAT

OP
Trophies
Website
www.whydoyoucare
XP
Country
United States
sorry that it happens on vWii too, which means it's your hardware.
but you said you tried difference drives, so it's strange all of them broke at the same time.

for format without "quick" option? it could takes hours. good luck.
I'm testing it to see what happens....I have all the time in the world just not enough hardware. I'm wondering what stopped the usb device from working now and last time....

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to bump an old thread, but there's a lot of good information here and I'm having the exact same issue with my Wii. Since this issue seems to have gone unresolved as far as I can tell, it seems like a good idea just to post my issue here so any old information can be referenced.

I can load apps off of the SD card just fine, but if the SD card is inserted at the same time as the hard drive and I try to switch to hard drive as the source in the homebrew channel, it just loads the apps on the SD card. If I remove the SD card and try to switch to hard drive as the source in the homebrew channel, I get the same DSI dump screen that you do. Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

Notes:
------
1. I am using a WD Passport 2TB drive formatted in Fat32 with 32 KB cluster size.
2. My drive has a single 2 TB partition. (I've considered making a separate smaller partition for the apps, maybe that will help?)
3. I modded my Wii using letterbomb on 4.3U, then installed bootmii and priiloader.
4. I installed the following cIOS:
a. cIOS: v10 beta52 d2x-v10-beta52, cIOS base: 56, cIOS slot: 249, cIOS version: 65535
b. cIOS: v10 beta52 d2x-v10-beta52, cIOS base: 57, cIOS slot: 250, cIOS version: 65535
c. cIOS: v10 beta52 d2x-v10-beta52, cIOS base: 58, cIOS slot: 251, cIOS version: 65535​
5. I have one of those gamecube compatible black Wii consoles.
6. USBLoaderGX and WiiFlow reads the games from my hard drive just fine.

Let me know if you need any more information.

EDIT: This is the exact problem I'm having (not my vid but same exact issue) -

Edit 2: I think I found a solution thanks to a kind redditor and a post from here, which unfortunately I can't link since I'm a new member.

the problem is that programs like GUIFORMAT use GPT partitions, but we want MBR for apps like The Homebrew Channel and emulators to detect the drive successfully. You can use something like Minitool Partition Wizard or similar to convert the partition from GPT to MBR.
  1. Download Minitool Partition Wizard (use google)
    Note: Be sure to uncheck avast in the installer as it's bundled in by default!

2. Open Minitool and choose 'Disk & Partition Management'

3. Right click the Wii Drive in the list and choose 'Convert GPT disk to MBR disk'
    Note: Make sure the partition with your games on it is marked as the primary partition after converting the disk to MBR.

4. Click apply and follow the on-screen prompt.

5. Done! I've done minimal testing but FCEUGX and The Homebrew Channel now shows my drive perfectly!
This should not cause any data loss or problems, but obviously I take no responsibility for any issues this might cause. It has solved my problems.

Last edited by Chris2055,
Reactions: Harukiii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY