HBC 1.0.8 IOS 61

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cadurling, Dec 20, 2011.

Dec 20, 2011

HBC 1.0.8 IOS 61 by cadurling at 12:35 AM (1,935 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. cadurling
    OP

Newcomer cadurling Member

Korea, South
    I've been reading that HBC should be on IOS 58 in order to use USB 2.0 and if you are on another IOS say like me IOS 61 it is better to upgrade to system menu 4.3 or download the IOS 58 installer and reinstall HBC. The thing is I'm already on system menu 4.3 and through a system check have IOS 58 installed, but my HBC is using IOS 61. My setup works good, except WiiMC doesn't work, which isn't important to me. Is there any other drawbacks with my setup? Loaders also work good, but with occasional freezing in some games. Would changing to IOS58 fix game freezing? Thanks for any info you can give.

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If you have IOS58 installed, just reinstall the Homebrew Channel. It will switch to IOS58 after reinstalling. It is highly recommended.

3. cadurling
    OP

Korea, South
    Thanks for the quick response. One question about about the HBC reinstall. My Wii is a Korean Wii which had the Korean system menu. I am currently on system menu 4.3U after doing the region change hack. When I reintall HBC will I specify my Wii as Korean or USA?

4. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Just use the bootmii installer to reinstall the Homebrew Channel. I do not think you're ever asked to specify the region of your Wii. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    It will work fine, although it was pretty stupid for you to install 4.3U since you have a Korean Wii. Just remember, no matter what anybody tells you, NEVER re-install IOS80. You will get a 003 error and brick your Wii.

6. cadurling
    OP

Korea, South
    Why was it stupid to install 4.3U? My setup works good except the occasional game freeze and my HBC using IOS61... Is the 4.3U somehow the cause of this?

Thanks for the warning about IOS80 had no idea about that. Not sure why I would need IOS80, but I'll make sure I stay away from it.

7. JoostinOnline

United States
    System Menu 4.2 and 4.3 add no new features, and were designed to brick region changed Korean Wii's, kill homebrew, and remove region free gameplay. Yet people still think it's a good idea to update.

The one way to get around the update bricking region changed Korean Wii's is to install IOS60 into slots 70 (for 4.2) and 80 (for 4.3) since it won't detect the region change. Unfortunately, idiots (usually the same ones who encourage updating) will tell you that having a patched System Menu IOS (such as IOS60 installed into slot 80) is a bad idea, even though it won't hurt anything. They then advise that you install an official version of it, and you get landed with a brick.

8. cadurling
    OP

Korea, South
    I see, so if my Wii is on 4.3u now there shouldn't be negative consequences down the road... but doing the update in the first place is not a great idea because it could brick it. I actually had no prob's going to 4.3U, I did it around 2 years ago and don't remember the guide I followed, come to think of it it was a Korean guide so that was probably why there were no troubles. Being a Korean Wii and all. Thanks for the info.

9. JoostinOnline

United States
    As long as you never re-install IOS80, you won't get a 003 brick.

10. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Joostin is right!

I think softmodding with modmii is safe, even for korean, region changed Wii's now.
    Standard, Modmii presents you with patched system menu ios's ( based on IOS60 )

Never update through official ways, or reinstall an unpatched IOS80!

11. cadurling
    OP

Korea, South
    Thanks for the info/help, Re-installed HBC and am now on IOS58.

12. steveroo

Member steveroo GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    worked for me. good thing this was on a 4.2 wii.... easy to re-install homebrew

13. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    It always has been :D