Gaming Having some Problems.

Mr. Waffle

A Free Waffle
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, my pc was dying yesterday so I was making a bootable usb stick on my dad's laptop.
But now the laptop doesn't recognise windows vista anymore! It just wants to boot xp from the usb disk but that doesn't work either.
Soon, after that, my pc died, so now I'm pissed and my dad is pissed (on me).

Any ideas on solving this? I mainly want to repair the laptop, I wanted to buy new parts for my pc anyway.
Any help would be great.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Mr. Waffle said:
But now the laptop doesn't recognise windows vista anymore! It just wants to boot xp from the usb disk...
... I'm sorry if this sounds kind of obvious, but you have unplugged the USB stick before turning the laptop on, right?
unsure.gif

Otherwise, you haven't given us enough information about how far the PC actually gets while it tries to start up. What actually happens when you turn it on, does it get as far as a windows logo screen?

Mr. Waffle

A Free Waffle
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I unplugged it.

When I turn it on it goes trough the check think and then it it says something like:
windows/system32/hall.dll is missing or corrupt.
please reinstall the files shown above.

Something like that.

I think the vista folder is called windows.old or something and maybe thats why it doesn't show up when you go to the screen where you can chose what OS to boot.
Still have no idea how to change it..

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Try this to fix the missing hall.dll
* Boot from your XP Setup CD. You have to use a XP disc as the recovery console is not included on Vista discs and enter the Recovery Console
* Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
* Delete the C:\Boot.ini file
* Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
* Run Fixboot

Guide to using the recovery console http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000627.htm

Mr. Waffle

A Free Waffle
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So now my pc works again, I don't know for how long.
I think the problem with my pc was that the HDDs were in RAID, and one is broken.
So I installed xp again, lost every file I had, but both drives were 320gb, and now I have more then that, but not as much as 640gb...
unsure.gif

Also, the drives were making weird noises before they broke, and now their making them again!
*Sigh* Maybe I need to buy a new hard disk..

Lee79 said:
Try this to fix the missing hall.dll
* Boot from your XP Setup CD. You have to use a XP disc as the recovery console is not included on Vista discs and enter the Recovery Console
* Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
* Delete the C:\Boot.ini file
* Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
* Run Fixboot

Guide to using the recovery console http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000627.htm
Will this help recover vista?
I'm going to try it out this afternoon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Guess its been out on PC for a year. Was up for some indie awards.