Having some issues here with a HDD caddy

Gohobojoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the main issue is that the system isn't detecting the caddy, but I'll just start from the beginning.

Acer Aspire E5-552-T07V, parents laptop with Windows 10 was being extremely slow. Alright, I hate Windows 10, so let's just put 7 on it and change the HDD to a SSD while I'm at it. A few issues came up where the bootable USB with 7 wasn't detected, but that was solved from switching from UEFI to legacy. Another issue where the installer didn't work properly, but that was fixed from using the USB 2.0 slot instead of the 3.0 slots. Install went okay, enjoying that boot finishes loading before before windows boot animation finishes that SSDs do.

Going from a 1TB HDD to a 120GB SSD is quite a bit of a loss, so I decided to get a caddy and put the old HDD in the caddy into the optical slot on the laptop. This is where problems that I can't find the answer to happen.

1, windows is not detecting the HDD when I put it in, not in disk management of device manager. Okay, let's check if the BIOS detects it. 2, mashing F2 doesn't go to the BIOS menu anymore. Did changing to legacy boot cause that or is the boot sequence happening so fast that it's not detecting F2 being pressed? Yes I'm mashing like crazy, I'm confident in my mashing skills because I can beat the last boss of Prinny: CirbtH. 3, only when the caddy is on the laptop, i'm now presented with a screen with that ends with:

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.61 (01/07/05)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key.

Searching these issues up on the internet and trying out the solutions is not doing anything for me. So onwards to finding a forum and posting there, and here I am.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up