Having issues with softmod

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by W.I.C.K.E.D., Sep 22, 2011.

1. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

W.I.C.K.E.D. GBAtemp Regular

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Ok, I'll try to keep this brief. I used xboxhdm to softmod my xbox with unleashedx through a hotswap. Everything seemed to work fine. I used config magic to pull the eeprom. Unleashedx worked fine, I was able to ftp with no issues. I used AID to install evox, and this is where my issues began. My stock dash would no longer boot, and when I tried to add other dashes i kept getting batch errors. I decided to return the hdd to normal again with xboxhdm and restart the process. I even generated the hdd unlock code prior to make sure my xboxhdm disk had the eeprom on it, and it worked fine. I used xboxhdm to build the drive from scratch. I put it back in the box. When I tried to start it up now there is no dash, it goes to error 21 immediately after the boot screen. Does anyone know why this might of happened, and what I could do to fix it? My ultimate goal was to put a 1.5tb hdd in this sucker and move my dvd collection to it so I don't have to worry about disks getting damaged. Now it seems I'm kind of stuck unless I wanna buy a chip and soldering gun. Can I restore the stock dash and softmod? Been messing with this for a few days and I'm not sure of my options. Any help is appreciated, I thank you in advance. [​IMG]

edit : I will add to that once evox was installed I could no longer ftp as well, as I was gonna try to transfer the stock dash to it this way, but no luck. My pc would ping through the cable, receive a response, but when flash fxp tried to connect it had no luck.

2. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Restoring the drive and starting over should have fixed it. Where did you get the files that xboxhdm uses to rebuild c: from? Your drive? or did you get a clean stock C: from somewhere else? If you used your files, I'd try a rebuild using a stock C: from some where else (AID should have a stock C: included with it), if you already did it using them, then I'm not sure, as a rebuild should have fixed it.

3. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I believe it was the backup off of mine, but being the only other og xbox I modded was a hard mod, I could of made an error. This was my first softmod. I'm gonna try a few more things, and maybe I'll get some more suggestions from here. Wish me luck!

4. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I remember getting error 21 turned out my hard drive had died, hope this hasnt happened to you.

5. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Hopefully not. Although, original xbox consoles aren't that hard to find or expensive now a days. I just don't wanna have to pound my head against the wall with this one, but sometimes you have to. Figured someone in a community this big has had this issue or heard about it before. Thanks for the posts peeps [​IMG]

6. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I wanted to ask as well what the limit would be on replacing the drive, that would be stable? I wanted to add a 1.5tb drive as long as it's safe. I didn't know if there were any known issues I should be aware of. Like I said I did do a hard mod before but I only installed a 160gb drive which I had no concerns with.

7. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Long time since I messed with one, but if I remember right, 750GB was the largest without causing problems. Although as far as I know, it wasn't the size that was causing issue over that, it was most drives over that size were sata and the xbox never really played nicely with ide->sata adapters.

8. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Well. I managed to put the stock dash back on it with xplorer. Didn't try to see if it would boot any games. It booted to the dash fine. Then I used xbox hdm again to put unleashedx on it, and all seemed to go fine. It completed the process and said it was done. I put the hd back in the xbox, then when I tried to boot it went to a screen to create an xbox live account. There were 3 options, I can't recall what they were at the moment, but every time I clicked on one the screen flashed white then went back to create live account screen. Does anyone know what this could be from? I'm not sure because the eeprom I got from evox backup seemed to not work. And just installing the default dash again it booted fine so I would assume the eeprom is there, as I believe it needs this to unlock the drive. If nobody has any conclusions to offer, is there another forum I could be linked to that might be able to give me a definitive answer? I know the orginal xbox systems are rather cheap now, I actually saw one at a second hand store for $15 USD, but I would like to find what I did wrong and how to prevent it in the future before taking this route. Thanks [​IMG]