Having issues with OoThax, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by RemixDeluxe, Mar 24, 2016.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    So heres the full story, I got a new 128GB SD card because my 32GB was getting full but I need to have the SD card formatted within my 3DS so that my emunand backup I made on the previous SD card will work. First I tried using the gateway launcher but when I tried the url to access the page only part of the page would load and I would have to do a force shut down. I tried that about 3 times (and yes I had the launcher.dat on the root of my SD.) Next I tried OoThax, I didn't bother to load up a save from the archive folder because I assumed the last time I did this I loaded it with a 9.2 save already but for some odd reason when I trigger the OoTHax it would boot to the home menu. Just to be 110% safe I got a 9.2 save for the game and downloaded it onto the cart then tried the exploit again and I still get this odd result which has never happened to me over all the times I've ever done this.

What am I doing wrong and what other options do I have to format my SD card (format on 3DS so emunand can read)

2. Edgarska

Edgarska GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    As far as I know, you don't need to format it on the 3DS specifically, just as long as it's fat32 with 32KB clusters. Try SD card formatter.

3. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Its already set to FAT32, thats not the issue here. I backed up my previous card and dumped everything on, it reads it all a-ok but the emuNAND does not work even if I use something like 3ds-multinand_v1.3 to format using my emunand backup. This new SD card needs to be formatted from the 3DS end if I want emunand to work.

4. rufuszombot

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    Don't you have to create an EmuNand partition on the new card first?

5. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    Did you tried emunand9?
    The thing is that you need a way to boot homebrew... if you say that your oothax is not working, you have to manage to run browserhax.

Then the steps would be:
    - Run emunand9 to create a new emunand on your new SD card.
    - Use emunand9 again to reinject the emunand.bin backup you did into this new emunand.
    - Paste back your SD backup.

Last edited by Arubaro, Mar 24, 2016
  6. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Thats exactly what I need to do, I just didnt word it right.

yep, I intend to run emunand9 but I need to get to the homebrew menu to do it. Last I checked Browserhax really sucks and barely works even at 9.2. Does the ropbin file have to be named anything specific? (I dont mean the extension)

7. Arubaro

Sep 4, 2015
    Try clearing your history/cookies' browser and deleting the webkithax_tmp on the root of your SD card and then going to
    http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php

If still not working, try manually downloading the ropbin from here and rename it "browserhax_hblauncher_ropbin_payload.bin", put it on the SD's root and then initialize your browser again.

8. Toasty

Toasty Queen

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2011
    United States
    Toledo OH
    Hey, I saw you in #retro...

Browserhax is a pain in the ass, but I managed to get it to work 30% of the time. Just make sure you shut the 3ds off and clear the data every time it fails. It does work eventually, just be quick about it.

Arubaro likes this.
  9. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    When using browserhax do I use the homebrew DNS or no? Was that homebrew DNS only good for tubehax or did other exploits use that? I know its pretty useful currently for blocking Wii U updates but other than that what else?

10. Arubaro

Sep 4, 2015
    The tubehax dns used to block update notifications on 3ds too, but I don't know if it still works.

I think it doesn't mater if you use it or not when running browserhax on 9.2

11. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I used the QR code for browserhax and got in on my first attempt. Thanks for the assistance guys, now I'm gonna use emuNAND9 and get my 3DS back.

Arubaro likes this.