Hardware Have you actually seen the 3D?

Twilight Loz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen many footage of games being played on the 3DS although I didn't really see the 3D. To me, it just looks like they've upgraded the graphics so that the graphics can be compared to ps2/GC. Are nintendo just exaggerating the terms '3D'?

Frostshocker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It is pretty much impossible to see the 3d of the 3DS without
1. a 3D camera capturing the footage in the correct position
2. a 3D screen to view it on

i suppose you could do the cross eyed thing but even then you need a 3D camera to capture the 3DS's screen

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
facepalm.jpg

There's no way you can see the 3DS' 3D
a- Via a video recorded with a camera. 3D or not. The technology used with the 3DS works only with the human eye.
b- Without being in front of the system
c- On a monitor

And most footage out there was recorded in 2D mode

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Even if it was recorded in 3D mode, you wouldn't be able to view it in 3D on a normal TV or computer monitor.
I just thought of something. If they give us the ability to film in 3D on the 3DS... if you film the top screen of a 3DS with another 3DS, will it be in 3D?

I would think so because each camera is seeing a different image which allows it to look 3D, but if you can, that's some crazy shit.

Neo1Spider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was lucky enough to attend last years Nintendo E3 Conference and I have seen the 3D in action. It's pretty much like seeing a 3D movie without the glasses. Some demos looked better than others (Metal Gear, Paper Mario) and others seemed a little unfocused (Kingdom Hearts). Its pretty crazy the first time you see it since its hard to believe how good it looks and its without 3D glasses.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
awssk8er said:
Rydian said:
Even if it was recorded in 3D mode, you wouldn't be able to view it in 3D on a normal TV or computer monitor.
I just thought of something. If they give us the ability to film in 3D on the 3DS... if you film the top screen of a 3DS with another 3DS, will it be in 3D?

I would think so because each camera is seeing a different image which allows it to look 3D, but if you can, that's some crazy shit.

Nope. The cameras don't work as our eyes. What's on the screen isn't in 3D, our brain makes it 3D.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You can't really record the 3D (you'd have to use two cameras to capture both pictures the 3DS is showing (one for each eye)).
You need both pictures for the stereoscopic effect.

eAQ9R.jpg

awssk8er said:
Actually, that might be possible. You would need to find the right distance from the screen, but it might be possible.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ramonra said:
awssk8er said:
Rydian said:

Nope. The cameras don't work as our eyes. What's on the screen isn't in 3D, our brain makes it 3D.
Oh okay. That makes sense.

I thought it would work, but I thought it was crazy because it's turning something that is in reality 2D into 3D.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen 3D TV in action, I imagine the principle is the same. There's a 3D demo set up in my local Comet store, with the glasses on a stand. I hate the glasses.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
awssk8er said:
I thought it would work, but I thought it was crazy because it's turning something that is in reality 2D into 3D.
It could work. A 3D camera has two lenses, and each lens looks at the object it's recording at a slightly different angle. The 3DS screen is designed so that it shows two different pictures when viewed at different angles. So each lens of the 3D camera is "watching" the 3DS' screen at a different angle and "seeing" a different picture, and it might just be possible to record in 3D. In bad quality, but still, in 3D.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
You can't really record the 3D (you'd have to use two cameras to capture both pictures the 3DS is showing (one for each eye)).
You need both pictures for the stereoscopic effect.

eAQ9R.jpg

yea
i think you can do some cross eyed thing to see the 3d but im not sure
look it up on youtube
i can see the robots gun coming out of the screen

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
Neo1Spider said:
I was lucky enough to attend last years Nintendo E3 Conference and I have seen the 3D in action. It's pretty much like seeing a 3D movie without the glasses. Some demos looked better than others (Metal Gear, Paper Mario) and others seemed a little unfocused (Kingdom Hearts). Its pretty crazy the first time you see it since its hard to believe how good it looks and its without 3D glasses.

Just a question, how long did your eyes take to adjust to the 3d?

Having seen a 3d tv, and many 3d films - one can only hope the 3ds compares

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: the baker appears