Has anyone Bricked there redNAND / emuNAND while using TinyFormat?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Anthony D'Amico, May 9, 2016.

1. Anthony D'Amico
    OP

Anthony D'Amico Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    Hi All,

This is more of a discussion then a cry for help.

I am currently doing my second LumaCFW install using Plailect Guide on my N3DS:
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started

Everything was going well, and i was up to step 4 to get the OTP.bin file.

I was following the steps to format the emuNAND 2 times. However on the second format, the emuNAND just booted into a black screen, which i found odd.
    I tried restarting the 3ds and sysNAND booted with no problems but the emuNAND was still black.

I tried to restore the emuNAND using a NAND backup taken earlier which restored the emuNAND and i was able to boot into Luma3ds. However i ran TinyFormat again and once again it bricked (or appeared too)

I think i will delete everything and start the guide again as it looks like something may have gone wrong in the earlier steps.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Anthony

2. 3dsn00b

3dsn00b GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2016
    SysNand
    Sometimes it takes a few tries to boot into it. This is a menuhax/hombrew quirk I think. It's got a ~70% success rate. Sometimes, that 30% fail-rate can decide to happen 5-6 times in a row :rofl2:

3. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    The only time I've bricked a NAND using TinyFormat was when I was region changing a NAND for fun and it didn't have the EULA (so it would crash when it reached that step in the setup).

If your system settings is messed up (at least, I think that is what is responsible for initial setup) I could see it not working. Also it seems to take a fair bit of time for the initial setup to actually load, are you sure you're giving it enough time before panicking and turning it off?

4. Anthony D'Amico
    OP

Anthony D'Amico Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    I left my 3ds on for about 10mins before turning it off.
    When setting up the NAND the first time and entering in my user details, i did set the profile region to another country, but i did not think this would be the cause.

I loaded the luma3ds 3 times leaving it on for 10mins each time. I did not think it could take 5-6 times since the first time doing this on my o3ds worked the first time

5. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    I second this, it really acts funny sometimes. Happens to me too last night

XRaTiX and 3dsn00b like this.
  6. 3dsn00b

3dsn00b GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2016
    SysNand
    I'd say try about 5-10 times to make sure. Or more depending on your patience level. But in the case that it isn't booting, you can always restore the emuNAND and start over I think. It's just emuNAND. It's like Groundhog Day :rofl2:

7. Akira

Apr 28, 2013
    It's kinda odd to think the first format was fine and then the second wasn't so I guess this is just the one of the times that the CFW is not acting as it should be. Anyways, just to be sure, how about checking if you downgraded fine using this? https://github.com/svanheulen/downgrade_check/releases

8. Food

Food Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    United States
    you shouldn't use emunand if you are using that guide it states only use REDnand

9. Anthony D'Amico
    OP

Anthony D'Amico Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks for this!!
    I assume i load this though homebrew on the sysNAND?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I can confirm i am using redNAND as per the guide, its just alot of people refer to it as an emuNAND as well on other forums i have been on

10. Akira

Apr 28, 2013
    Yes

11. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    To rule out your system, just make a fresh emunand. Restoring the same one that keeps failing isn't going to help you. You can go back to what you want to use after you have retrieved your OTP.

zfreeman likes this.
  12. XRaTiX

XRaTiX GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2016
    It's the same thing.

+1
    That what I did just to be sure.

13. Anthony D'Amico
    OP

Anthony D'Amico Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    I ended up doing this and everything ran successfully, it was alot quicker as no downgrade was required this time :)

I just want to confirm this, I had to load Luma3ds through home brew 6 times to get it to load after creating a fresh redNAND.

I never had this problem with my o3ds so must be the way the n3ds hardware/software works

3dsn00b likes this.
  14. Aramatheus

Aramatheus Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2016
    Finland
    Can confirm what others said here, I had to launch Luma3ds 4 times before it actually went into redNAND.

15. easycrashing

easycrashing GBAtemp Regular

Nov 30, 2010
    United States
    I never had an issue booting on my N3DS, had to multiple times on O3DS and couldn't ever get the browserhax to work on it.

on n3ds it just went through to homebrew menu, on o3ds it had a slider thing and when id drag and click right side it would just fail over and over and over... had to borrow cubic ninja from a shop

just bad luck sometimes :P