ROM Hack Has anyone been able to get mods that have .lua files working in the new Binding of Isaac: Repentance update?

Lalapaloozer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if anyone has messed with this new DLC and checked if its possible for .lua mods to work with it. I was also wondering if we edit the base main.lua by adding stuff from any mod's main.lua, if one can get mods to work that way

m3anmug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be completely happy if I could use just an external item description mod. Do you know if this is possible?

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let me preface this by saying I know very little about the switch, but ps3/4 config/lua files are created through debugging the game. this is ps2 games, and you can debug them with the ps2 emulator on the pc. they're not pulled out of someone's ass. haha.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let me preface this by saying I know very little about the switch, but ps3/4 config/lua files are created through debugging the game. this is ps2 games, and you can debug them with the ps2 emulator on the pc. they're not pulled out of someone's ass. haha.
Lua files are the core structure of the Isaac ports from Afterbirth onwards due to them adding mod support(and modding api) using Lua on the PC version after that DLC

Console ports are essentially the same. It’s just a matter of getting the formatting right as the games are ported poorly and barely run.

For example using the tool above works on most consoles out of the box. But for weaker consoles like the 3ds and vita you really need to worry about resizing the images beforehand, as the system will shit itself if it has to resize too much on its own

Reactions: godreborn

vhs

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I was wondering if anyone has messed with this new DLC and checked if its possible for .lua mods to work with it. I was also wondering if we edit the base main.lua by adding stuff from any mod's main.lua, if one can get mods to work that way
I'm working on this, but it seems that appending the main.lua contents of the mod to the original main.lua does not work, since it's never called inside the game, therefore, not executing the mod's lua. I'm researching some way to get the game to execute arbitrary code by editing some loose pointer that i could find, but it's very tough, since i can't get any relevant information by dissembling the main file on the exeFS. Even if i get the game to execute some code, i still have to find the way the game loads the lua interpreter internally.
Nevertheless, i still have the suspicion that the lua intepreter is inside the game's executable, i find very weird that they left the RegisterMod function in there for no reason at all. (Or maybe it's just lazyness).

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on this, but it seems that appending the main.lua contents of the mod to the original main.lua does not work, since it's never called inside the game, therefore, not executing the mod's lua. I'm researching some way to get the game to execute arbitrary code by editing some loose pointer that i could find, but it's very tough, since i can't get any relevant information by dissembling the main file on the exeFS. Even if i get the game to execute some code, i still have to find the way the game loads the lua interpreter internally.
Nevertheless, i still have the suspicion that the lua intepreter is inside the game's executable, i find very weird that they left the RegisterMod function in there for no reason at all. (Or maybe it's just lazyness).
It’s very possible it’s just laziness. Nicalis isn’t exactly known for quality lol

• Haha
Reactions: vhs

Martmists

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I did some digging into this a few months ago, and there is no lua engine. None at all.
You'd have to add your own in an exefs patch and hook it into the game's code, and more or less implement the entire API yourself. I have no clue why there's still .lua files in romfs but it's likely they just got lazy and macro'd the lua part of the game out for switch releases.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did some digging into this a few months ago, and there is no lua engine. None at all.
You'd have to add your own in an exefs patch and hook it into the game's code, and more or less implement the entire API yourself. I have no clue why there's still .lua files in romfs but it's likely they just got lazy and macro'd the lua part of the game out for switch releases.
That’s what they did with all the image files. Just lazily converted the PNGs to PCX for some reason

vhs

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yeah, i was just reading about that one game that nintendo pulled out from the store because it had a hidden ruby interpreter, so it's logical that they got rid of the lua interpreter as well.
Implementing the entire API seems a bit too complicated for me, but i will try doing some research into that. Thank you for the info !

BigPacRat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Has anyone tried emulating isaac on linux with box64? I would try and reimplement the lua api if i knew how to get started. If someone could kick it off i’ll be happy to contribute.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021