Hardware Hardware Payload Injector with Passthrough Charging?

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Has anyone thought of working on a Hardware Payload Injector with Passthrough Charging?
E.g., imagine any of the current injectors where instead of a charging port for the capacitive ones, a USB-C port that charges the switch?

Make it low profile, and stick it to the back of the switch with a bendy cable going into the Switch's port.

This way you never have to take out the injector, probably never have to charge the injector, and you can charge whenever you want.

Combined with AutoRCM this would be a soft-hardmod lol.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone thought of working on a Hardware Payload Injector with Passthrough Charging?
E.g., imagine any of the current injectors where instead of a charging port for the capacitive ones, a USB-C port that charges the switch?

Make it low profile, and stick it to the back of the switch with a bendy cable going into the Switch's port.

This way you never have to take out the injector, probably never have to charge the injector, and you can charge whenever you want.

Combined with AutoRCM this would be a soft-hardmod lol.

You’re aware of the Trinket M0 mod, yes? You could probably mount it outside the shell if you wanted.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3832927

Trinket M0 Hardware — The @mattytrog Bible for installing the Trinket M0
Trinket M0 Software — The @mattytrog encyclopedia of Trinket M0 software (source here https://github.com/mattytrog/FUSEE_SUITE)

Last edited by binkinator,

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fairly low profile yeah, but would passthrough charging be possible with it?

DISCLAIMER:
Please note this is in no way a set of instructions. Electrical circuits must be well thought out as you can potentially damage your Switch and possibly even yourself.

————————————————————————————————-

Absolutely. I would be more worried about the Trinket.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-trinket-m0-circuitpython-arduino/pinouts

According to its docs it can only handle 3-6V and with a PD power supply such as the one that comes with the Switch you can expect anywhere from 5-15V so you would want to put something like an 78 series power regulator (like a 7805?) in parallel with the power coming out of the USB-C. That way you power both devices at the same time and the Trinket would get a steady 5V. For your D+ and D- (communication wires) you could just tie those together. You would want to pass through the PD wire as well so the power supply can communicate that it’s PD capable and thus still fast charge. I think that’s all the wires you’d need.

Last edited by binkinator,

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fairly low profile yeah, but would passthrough charging be possible with it?

Just looked it up, yeah. It's pretty much a auto rcm/payload injector that is soldered into your switch, then you can charge it, dock it, etc and it'll still boot into the payload(at least thats just what I've looked up)

But lets say you don't want to solder anything. You'd need to find a USB C hub that has multiple USB C ports. For that, I found this: https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/hb31c2a2cb
It's not ideal, but you can plug in your payload injector and a charging cable.
I don't know if that would work either because it depends on how the hub is made and how much voltage/wattage is being given to the switch. It might be too much or too little or the charging won't go to the switch at all.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just looked it up, yeah. It's pretty much a auto rcm/payload injector that is soldered into your switch, then you can charge it, dock it, etc and it'll still boot into the payload(at least thats just what I've looked up)

But lets say you don't want to solder anything. You'd need to find a USB C hub that has multiple USB C ports. For that, I found this: https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/hb31c2a2cb
It's not ideal, but you can plug in your payload injector and a charging cable.
I don't know if that would work either because it depends on how the hub is made and how much voltage/wattage is being given to the switch. It might be too much or too little or the charging won't go to the switch at all.

You are correct, sir.

Soldering it inside is absolutely the way to go!

The Trinket links above were well thought out by people who regularly build circuits and repair consoles. The design has been tested and is successful in the wild. I have one in my own V1 and love it!

I’m merely playing along with the different use case requirements for peeps who can’t/won’t do micro-soldering.

XRTerra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are correct, sir.

Soldering it inside is absolutely the way to go!

The Trinket links above were well thought out by people who regularly build circuits and repair consoles. The design has been tested and is successful in the wild. I have one in my own V1 and love it!

I’m merely playing along with the different use case requirements for peeps who can’t/won’t do micro-soldering.
I think I'll consider getting it then. Just need to wait for the next nintendo console to come out before I start messing around with any hardware.

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
DISCLAIMER:
Please note this is in no way a set of instructions. Electrical circuits must be well thought out as you can potentially damage your Switch and possibly even yourself.

————————————————————————————————-

Absolutely. I would be more worried about the Trinket.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-trinket-m0-circuitpython-arduino/pinouts

According to its docs it can only handle 3-6V and with a PD power supply such as the one that comes with the Switch you can expect anywhere from 5-15V so you would want to put something like an 78 series power regulator (like a 7805?) in parallel with the power coming out of the USB-C. That way you power both devices at the same time and the Trinket would get a steady 5V. For your D+ and D- (communication wires) you could just tie those together. You would want to pass through the PD wire as well so the power supply can communicate that it’s PD capable and thus still fast charge. I think that’s all the wires you’d need.
Not gonna lie that all went quite over my head haha, but I appreciate the information nonetheless.
But wouldnt this still require it to be inside the console. I was hoping for this setup to not require opening the console at all.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'll consider getting it then. Just need to wait for the next nintendo console to come out before I start messing around with any hardware.
The one caveat is this only works with a V1/RCM capable Switch. Other than that, you’re all set!

Reactions: Hayato213

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not gonna lie that all went quite over my head haha, but I appreciate the information nonetheless.
But wouldnt this still require it to be inside the console. I was hoping for this setup to not require opening the console at all.
You could fit this in the 3D printed case with a minor mod. It would get power from your USB-C cable and you would need to still trigger an RCM bug to inject the payload, but naw…you could do it all external.

E: here you go!

https://web.archive.org/web/20180807055913/http://www.scenefolks.com/pages.php?page=4202

The difference between that design and yours is it would be connected by additional wiring and get its power directly from the USB instead of a coin-cell battery.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
As stupid as this sounds I was honestly thinking of a regular RCM injector dongle but with a USB-C port on the bottom for passthrough-power, so technically you wouldn't /need/ to ever remove it unless you wanna dock or connect to a PC. But of course, hardmods are the way to go for now.

XRTerra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stupid as this sounds I was honestly thinking of a regular RCM injector dongle but with a USB-C port on the bottom for passthrough-power, so technically you wouldn't /need/ to ever remove it unless you wanna dock or connect to a PC. But of course, hardmods are the way to go for now.
That's actually what I was thinking at first too. Apes together strong :P

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's actually what I was thinking at first too. Apes together strong :P

Would still need something inline to control that hot 15V but this is an awesome idea, fellas!

276D7500-A579-4298-90B4-7707C7C73602.jpeg

Thinkin and drivin…

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
That's what I was saying yeah, I dont know why this hasn't been done yet commercially.

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
If I knew how to make the circuitry (or at least wire the trinket into an external case for this) I'd do it, honestly.
Same, haha, I feel like its a good alternative to opening up and voiding warranty. Also easier and probably(?) cheaper.
Post automatically merged:

1668324503359.png

Imagine a device like this, lower profile, ideally smaller, with only 1 USB-C port that can both charge and inject where necessary. Since the cable is flexable I could bend it and stick the device to the back of the switch, and voila.
Only problem is say goodbye to tabletop mode.

Last edited by PRAGMA,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu