Hardmodding a wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Artdigy, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Artdigy
    OP

Artdigy Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    United States
    Hi, I am new here so I apologize for coming across as a total noob (because I am)
    I have heard about hardmodding recently, and while I know softmodding is easier, I am really interested in it. I have heard about needing to know about your optical drive but I haven't any idea how to figure that out. Basically, I have a few questions.

1. I am aware that wode has stopped being made, but are there any places where it is listed? Dumb question, but who knows.
    2. By installing a chip, which one would you recommend, and what's the difference between them?
    3. Can I be directed towards a proper tutorial?

I am so sorry for asking such repetitive questions, I was looking everywhere for tutorials on this but since softmodding is way more popular, it was impossible for me to find.

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Just softmod. Your chances of finding a mod chip and a Wii that can read burned discs are getting lower every day. Loading from as USB HDD is a lot easier anyway and won't kill your optical drive.

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    1- shop01media is your best bet for old and/or obscure console accessories... for a price

2- pretty much any supporting BCA emulation will do, ie anything that supports New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Of course, they must be compatible with your optical drive (some connect directly to the drive electronics via wires, some do the same via a Wii-Clip, some connect inline with the data cable - and don't have any advantage compared to cioscorp/darkcorp, many support more than one method, some optical drives are not moddable at all)

3- for the above reason, depends on what specific chip you buy (especially if going for soldering-based method)

The simplest chip to install is probably the Flatmod (and clones), but it falls in the inline category I discredited above

4. suspendedhatch

suspendedhatch Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    I'm not aware of any benefits to hard modding. SD card softmod takes 10 mins.

GreyWolf likes this.