PS1/2 Hard drive in Fat Ps2 problem

itachigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get my Ps2 working with my hard drive to play games from it but not sure what's the problem. The hard drive is new, got it two days ago. It's a 250GB Maxtor 6L250R0. My memory card is loaded with Free mcboot from when I used to use my slim Ps2. I'm using WinHIIP 1.7.6. I had a few problem using WinHIIP with my hard drive but I manage to get it working. I attach it to the network adapter; put it inside the ps2 and boot HDloader from ulaunch elf. Here is the problem hdloader load up fine, but it ask me to format my hdd. I thought that what WinHIIP is for. After using winhiip over and over to no avail. I just decide to format the hard drive using HDLoader. The new menu want me to install my games from there. It seem to be able to install but the only game I have has lots of scratches on the disk; so I get an error at 2%.

I tried OPL after using WinHIIP again. The hard drive shows up after changing the setting to auto, but there isn't any games listed. Other guides (on a site that goes against the forum rule but here is a youtube link explaining it ) suggest I try adding a image to the hard drive using HDDRawCopy1.02Portable, which I did. It's suppose to allow me to boot from the ps2 browser menu. Using this method I can hear the hard drive spinning and trying to boot, but its stops afterwards. The ps2 suppose to boot straight into the menu where you have the option of selecting "Browser" or "System Configuration" but instead it boots into the Browser meun (where you can select the memory card's and disc inside the ps2). Nothing shows up only a message saying "no data" (assuming I don't have any memory cards and disc in). I did get it work once but I didn't have any games on the hard drive. so I took the hard drive out of the ps2 then used WinHIIP to install an iso. I put back into the ps2. Then the previously problem happen again. I have no ideal what is going on

So is it a problem with my hard drive or is it something else.

Edit: Also, the hard drive says toxic os after formatting using 48-bit loader option.

Last edited by itachigo,

ShaolinAssassin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi !

Tons of shitty issues...

I suggest you the following steps - lets give your HDD a fresh start :

1. Don't use WinHiip to format your HDD. It doesnt do the job properly. Same for HDLoader, avoid it. Use uLE instead for formatting. [FileBroswer > MISC > Hdd Manager > R1 > Format]. uLE here : http://psx-scene.com/forums/f113/unofficial-launchelf-v4-42-a-37242/

2. To install games, I suggest you HDLGameInstaller (network install) : http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/hdlgameinstaller-v0-809a-115321/ You can use Winhiip if you want, but I wouldnt recommand it, even for installing games.

3. Don't use HDLoader for loading PS2 games. It's obsolete. Use OPL 0.9.3 instead : https://bitbucket.org/ifcaro/open-ps2-loader/downloads/OpenPS2Loader_0.9.3.zip Copy it where you want to load it from (mc, usb, hdd...).

The image you installed wouldnt solve your issue - you have installed an update for PS2 broswer, which allows to see you HDD content from it.

Try these, and we will see if your HDD has a problem or not.

---------------------

EDIT : alternate solution : install FHDB newbie pack (http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/free-mcboot-1-95-noobie-package-154675/index9.html#post1207087) after you had your HDD formatted. It will install main PS2 apps (last version) : ESR / SMS / OPL / uLE / a power off ELF. Then install your games with HDLGameInstaller.

Then you wont have to use your FMCB card.

Last edited by ShaolinAssassin,

itachigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, thank you so much for replying.

1. Finish this step.

2. This want me to format my HDD again. Should I? Afterward, how do I setup the network install? The readme doesn't explain it well.

3. Have not made it this far.

EDIT : alternate solution : install FHDB newbie pack (http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/free-mcboot-1-95-noobie-package-154675/index9.html#post1207087) after you had your HDD formatted. It will install main PS2 apps (last version) : ESR / SMS / OPL / uLE / a power off ELF. Then install your games with HDLGameInstaller.

The FHDB option is black out. Can't highlight the options.

itachigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a IDE HDD. I'm using a usb to IDE/SATA adapter to connect to the computer. HDDChecker v0.94 display a error message that says
"There was a problem accessing the disk. The operation cannot be completed."

I'm assuming the HDD is the problem.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It's a IDE HDD. I'm using a usb to IDE/SATA adapter to connect to the computer. HDDChecker v0.94 display a error message that says
"There was a problem accessing the disk. The operation cannot be completed."

I'm assuming the HDD is the problem.
does that adapter provides the power plug or you used one available from your PSU?

Reactions: itachigo

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
PS: is your jumper in the correct place?
some devices require you to put it into cable select and other devices require it to be in master... try both!

not sure which one the ps2 requires.. however i had an IDE to sata adapter i thought it was falty because i had the jumper in cable select...

Last edited by migles,

itachigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah! Got it from amazon. Just to be sure, can you say for sure that it is a hard drive problem and not the ps2 or network adapter problem?

ShaolinAssassin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah! Got it from amazon. Just to be sure, can you say for sure that it is a hard drive problem and not the ps2 or network adapter problem?

I cant be 100% sure. Like migles said, check the jumper (should be on master), check if the HDD is correctly connected too.

itachigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah! I type really slow.
My bad migles. I didn't notice the post. You made it while I was still typing.

I cant be 100% sure. Like migles said, check the jumper (should be on master), check if the HDD is correctly connected too.

Yes it's on master. I tried the different jumper options as well. It won't even boot from those option let alone without the jumper, from the ps2.

HDDChecker is not a PC tool (it's an ELF), so it doesn't matter. The adapter is not the problem.

Thank you for verified this. Didn't want to have to send this back also.

does that adapter provides the power plug or you used one available from your PSU?

Yes the adapter does. By the way, if you check out the video in my first post, it is the exact same adapter and hard drive that I'm using. I bought them before I found the video. not that it matters.

Reactions: migles

ShaolinAssassin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok. I read that SCPH-50k has often issues to detect the HDD - I have one like this.

Lets try this now :

1. Low level format your HDD with this : http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/HDDLLF.4.40.exe (dont make a quick format, you need a complete low level format). Took me 1,5 hour on my 120GB, so you should need 3 hours to complete it.

2. Clean your NA + dev9 port (on PS2).

3. Format again your HDD with uLE (use WIP 7).

After this, launch uLE and answer these questions (check each in order) :
- doesn uLE detect your HDD ?
- can your hear it spinning ?
- can you see partitions in uLE HddManager ?

Good luck.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Ok. I read that SCPH-50k has often issues to detect the HDD - I have one like this.

Lets try this now :

1. Low level format your HDD with this : http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/HDDLLF.4.40.exe (dont make a quick format, you need a complete low level format). Took me 1,5 hour on my 120GB, so you should need 3 hours to complete it.

2. Clean your NA + dev9 port (on PS2).

3. Format again your HDD with uLE (use WIP 7).

After this, launch uLE and answer these questions (check each in order) :
- doesn uLE detect your HDD ?
- can your hear it spinning ?
- can you see partitions in uLE HddManager ?

Good luck.
if that is indeed true (50k having issues to detect hdd)
and he will have to do a low level format that takes 3 hours... which may not work...
damn, i would concideer to get a new ps2...

Anyway, thanks for this info, i had created a thread asking for differences on different revisions. i will quote your post into my thread, and if you got more info about this matter, i would like to know, as i stated in my thread, there are plenty of ps2 revisions.. the ps1 got a wikipedia page with loads of info about the revisions (like laser issues)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/choosing-a-ps2-fat-revision-model.442288/
here if you wish to contribute with knowledge about ps2 revisions

itachigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. The HDD is formatted.

2. Is the NA + dev9 port whats connects the network adapter to the ps2?

3. The ULE7WIP.ELF from uLE (u Launch Elf) WIP 7.Zip correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."