Happy Birthday Dreamcast!!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by omgroffles, Sep 9, 2008.

Sep 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!! by omgroffles at 11:08 AM (1,754 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. omgroffles
    OP

Newcomer omgroffles Member

United States
    Just realized it was 9 years ago, on 09/09/99, when the Dreamcast was launched in North America.
    I decided to pay a little home-age to one of my favorite video game consoles of all time.
    [​IMG]

Though it was quickly pulled from production just a few years later, the Dreamcast is the console on which Sega debuted innovations such as

• internet connectivity out of the box (as well as broadband support)
    • first home console to officially support online play (ChuChu Rocket)
    • cel-shaded animation in Jet Grind Radio (inspiring titles such as Viewtiful Joe)
    • analog triggers (now an industry standard)
    • memory cards with LCDs (known as Visual Memory Units or VMUs)
    • first-party keyboard and mouse for internet browsing and games (Quake III Arena supported this setup and UT3 for PS3 followed)
    • quick-time-events in Shenmue (famously used in God of War)
    • the first console MMO, Phantasy Star Online (even included language translators)
    • perfect arcade ports (Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Capcom vs. SNK, Soul Calibur)

The Dreamcast was home to some of the most innovative software that Sega would ever produce, setting several trends that are still followed to this day. The system's architecture was very simple yet powerful, fitting into a case smaller than almost every major console ever to be released. Had the Dreamcast only gotten the attention it deserved, video games as we know it may have turned out a little different.

2. Paranoid Mouse C

Member Paranoid Mouse C GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Happy B-Day to the console that basically introduced me to homebrew. I love you, Dreamcast.

3. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I love you DC.

I've dropped you so many times while moving house and yet you still work! Not had a single problem with my Dreamcast and it is so easy to get homebrew running.

Unlike most consoles I have (I'm looking at you PS1 & PS2) it gets uses every month if not for its games but also the homebrew.

Can I just add that there was cell shading in games before the Dreamcast came out.

EDIT: No it was the first, I'm wrong.

4. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    I remember playing homebrew on it, my friends brother did some crazy stuff and we were playing old NES games on it. Isn't really easy to pirate DreamCast games too because it has no lockout system so you can just burn them and put them in.

5. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Methinks i'm hooking mine back up tonight for some Marvel Vs Capcom 2 action. Pull out the old arcade joystick. Mmmmm. Yeah.

Happy B-day DC!!! I miss you're ways.

6. Galactus

Newcomer Galactus Member

United States
    Happy birthday dreamcast even though you bascially screwed us consumers who invested in you.

7. omgroffles
    OP

United States
    What? How? There were a ton of great games that came out, and if you still have your console you can download practically all of them for FREE. Seriously it's easy: just torrent the game you want, burn it to a disc, and play it in your Dreamcast! It's as easy as pirating music.

Besides, it was Sony and its hype machine that killed the Dreamcast, Sega didn't screw you. In fact they still took Dreamcasts in for repairs up until just 2 years ago IIRC

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    that so called "hyped machine" went on to become the worlds best system video game system with over 140mil sold to date and still going

at least they didnt screw me, my friend gave it to me his dreamcast after hearing what happened and got an xbox
    only played sonic adventure on it and crazy taxi, been wanted to mess around with burnt games and such but didnt really care that much

9. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    *shuffles in closet to find old stack of burned Dreamcast games*

Good times... [​IMG]

10. Try2bcool

Member Try2bcool GBAtemp Fan

United States

Also known as battery eating MF's... [​IMG]

Pirating the games was not easy at all, to rip them yourself, you had to make your own interface to hook the DC to the IDE port on the PC, as the DC used a proprietary GDROM drive and disks (for originals). There were not that many people posting them to USEnowhat, so you had to use IRC or P2P, which would sometimes take months to complete one game. They could only be burnt/copied at the time with Discjuggler. The early releases had to have a boot disk, until someone finally figured out how to patch it onto the disk image to make them self-booting.

You have to hand it to the DC though, it has some groundbreaking games like Seaman, Shenmue, Soul Caliber, Jet Set Radio, and Metropolis Street Racer, to name a few.

11. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    One of my Dreamcasts got filled with ants for some reason but it still works, I think I'ma go play it now. Some 3rd Strike or Garou or so...

I think the reason the ants got to it is: IT'S SWEET!

One of the 4 consoles that I bought multiples of just because and one of the 4 that stays hooked in my room TV.

EDIT: Oh I found Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. [​IMG]

12. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  13. Holaitsme

Member Holaitsme 10/10 would be loyal again

United States
    i remeber buying it at best buy when they had it for $50 the only games i bought for it was chicken run and resident evil 2.

14. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Oooh creepy. Must have been during all those days I left it on because of PSO. Anyway, time to get off the computer and play some Jojo. I also found I bought Maken X [​IMG] and Hundred Swords [​IMG].

15. Galactus

Newcomer Galactus Member

United States

Sony didn't have anything to do with it nor hype(it was a awesome system),if sega didn't make such awful investments like producing the mega failure known as shenmue the dreamcast might have live on.I have to give credit to nintendo for not bailing on their gamecube consumers.

16. omgroffles
    OP

United States
    I agree it was an awesome system, but come on, I don't think we can say the Dreamcast would have failed had the PS2 never existed.

And I loved Shenmue [​IMG]

JPH edit: please dont double post

17. Galactus

Newcomer Galactus Member

United States

I loved it to but it cost to much money with no commercial sussuc.It was probably the biggest flop in gaming history that cost sega.

18. Paranoid Mouse C

Member Paranoid Mouse C GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you think sega will ever throw it's hat into the console market again?

19. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    happy birthday, best console ever!

20. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Japan
    I never owned one but I've played Dreamcast games on an emu, I loved Power Stone so much! Happy Birthday DC!