All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I've already got a topic like this. I forgot to check if I did or not...

I'm trying to compile a list of handheld games with character creation. I actually have a strict definition of character creation. What I mean is that for a game to have character creation, in my eyes, it must follow these rules:
  1. It cannot be a game where all you do to create your character is pick a premade face, hair (in some games), an outfit (in some games), the colors, etc. In this kind of thing you ARE creating a character, but it's not a unique character as there are few potential looks to choose from. Games that fit this definition include, but aren't limited to: The Sims, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Ragnarok Odyssey, Phantasy Star 0
  2. It cannot be a game where all you do to create your character is pick a class/character, gender, and (in some games) choose the color scheme their armor/clothing will be rendered in. You aren't really creating a character in this sense, as all you're doing is picking something that has already been created and choosing a unique color for them to appear in so you can differentiate them from the other characters in the game. Games that fit this definition include, but aren't limited to: Soma Bringer, Seiken Densetsu 3, SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny, 7th Dragon, James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (360 version)
  3. It cannot be a game where the character creation only applies to a side mode of the game rather than the main mode. Games that fit this definition include, but are not limited to: Ragnarok DS
  4. It cannot be a game where your custom character's face is not easily seen/discernible despite being visible on-screen. Games that fit this definition include, but are not limited to: every game with character creation on GBA
  5. The game must offer a good range of options to choose from, if not option sliders.
Anyway, here are the handheld games that I know of that would actually count as having character creation by the definition above:
  • Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow
  • ClaDun: This is an RPG
  • ClaDun X2
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  • Drawn to Life
  • Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter
  • Drawn to Life: Spongebob Squarepants Edition
  • Kira Kira Pop Princess
  • LittleBigPlanet PSP
  • LittleBigPlanet Vita
  • Modnation Racers
  • MySims
  • Phantasy Star Portable
  • Phantasy Star Portable 2
  • Pop Town
  • Reality Fighters
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • The Sims 3
  • SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny
  • Spore Creatures
  • Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3
  • Treasure World
Can anyone think of any more?

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's the Phantasy Star Portable games on the PSP. I know you listed Phantasy Star Zero as a type of game you don't want, but there's a lot more customization in them compared to just being able to pick the color of your clothes and your choice of hat like in Zero.

There's also the God Eater games, Valhalla Knights games, Monster Hunter, and I would think the rest of the Radiant Mythology games besides 3 too.

Everything you equip is visible on your character in ZHP, but you can't really customize the character himself. You can only switch him out with some cameos from light novels, so I don't know if it would count.

On the DS, I can think of Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow, Kira Kira Pop Princess, and its sequel Pop Town.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
There's also the God Eater games, Valhalla Knights games, Monster Hunter, and I would think the rest of the Radiant Mythology games besides 3 too.
Actually, no. God Eater, Monster Hunter (as far as I can see, anyway...not an expert on Monster Hunter), and Radiant Mythology 1 and 2 (as far as I can see for 2, anyway) all only allow a choice of faces, and not individual parts of the face...

Animal crossing new leaf and ds
Those don't count because the game doesn't let you choose what your face looks like, even though you can cheat and use a face guide to do that anyway.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey there, Sora... long time. A couple ideas for your list:

Treasure world - something like a thousand options, maybe more
Scribblenauts Unlimited - you can turn Maxwel into anything and make him wear thousands of clothes

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
you specify some rules for character creation and yet you include Little Big Planet on the list where every custom option is predefined and you can't alter the proportions of your sackboy/girl.

anyway, here is what comes to my mind:
Reality Fighters. fit your needs, but I don't know if is worthy of being in the list(shitty game).
Smackdown vs Raw. has a few installments on PSP and DS but IDK if the character creation bit is present in said versions.
Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny. character creation is present as in other installments, you can create your own character or edit the existing fighters.
Modnation Racers. the PSP and Vita installments let you customize your mod(in-game avatar) and kart to (almost on the PSP) the same extent than the PS3 version.

that is what I remember and possibly you have a very complete list now as custom character creation to that extent on portables is quite rare for the lack of power of them.

EDIT: oops, forgot about Modnations.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
you specify some rules for character creation and yet you include Little Big Planet on the list where every custom option is predefined and you can't alter the proportions of your sackboy/girl.
If you notice, my specifications also include 'tons and tons of predefined options'. I mean, you have a crapload of options in LBP to make a character, even on LBP PSP.

Scribblenauts Unlimited - you can turn Maxwel into anything and make him wear thousands of clothes
Not entirely sure how in-depth it is (I don't mess with the custom item/character/etc creator and don't even know if you can apply such things to yourself), but I'll throw it in just in case.

Reactions: Sakitoshi

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP:
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble
Lord of Arcana

Vita:
Ragnarok Odyssey
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
Soul Sacrifice

sports games *crowd groans*
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (and probably every Tiger Woods PGA Tour game)
MLB 12 The Show (and probably every MLB The Show game)

EDIT: Okay I'm surprised you mention Ragnarok only to say it doesn't count. I'm trying to figure out what counts then. I guess for it to count you have to be able to adjust height and body fat? So basically presets = doesn't count, whereas sliders = does count?

Then I guess none of the games I mentioned count, except the sports games (noooo!!)

It's been a while since I played Lord of Arcana so I can't remember how in-depth its character creator is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    A good salmon Poké bowl with some cream cheese is decadent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's really not bad you just think of cold cream cheese
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    being lactose intolerant is a sin
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I dont like cream cheese. Thats why. Haha. The breakfast noodle cup sounds fantastic though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I beat grilled cream cheese would be top notch
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    @ZeroT21 tons of ingredients contains lactose more or less sadly. Makes them tummy aches and farts-o-lantern rocket launches
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My only gripe too many poppy seeds a cop may taze me
    "Start your day with Cup Noodles Breakfast! This limited time flavor blends ramen with your favorite breakfast flavors, including pancakes, maple syrup, sausage, and eggs."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If our Walmart has them yours probably does
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I came to like french Camembert
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: L angle cables are amazing when needed.