Halo 3 was a rip off.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by DSGRIM, Sep 27, 2007.

Sep 27, 2007

Halo 3 was a rip off. by DSGRIM at 2:15 AM (4,122 Views / 0 Likes) 49 replies

1. DSGRIM
    OP

Member DSGRIM GBAtemp Regular

United States
    5 hour long game and I died A LOT. WTF I was excited looking to play a long ass Halo game but its so short.

2. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Aren't all FPS games like that? Like...Bioshock was like 7 hours for me only. But it rocked. Its all about the multiplayer mind you.

3. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    Yeah, it's short, but Halo was never about the campaign. Although this iteration might irk some Halo 2 vets with its weapon changes. Halo 3 seems to have gone in the Halo 1 direction, which may be a put-off for people who can't aim, but for them, theres always the needler.

Renegade - I take it you've never played Half Life 1/2? Most FPS try to be in the 15-20+ area. Killzone was way too long. =.=

4. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    5 hours? hrmm I don't think you played it on heroic. playing it on normal or easy is for eXtreme noobs and it goes way too quickly. Yeah it's a bit short but the quality is high and I'd prefer that over a really long game.

multiplayer is awesome fun [​IMG] so much better than halo 2 and so many noobz to pwn

5. Mooney

Newcomer Mooney Advanced Member

United States
    Tsk tsk. You shoulda bought The Dethalbum instead of Halo 3 on the 25th. [​IMG]

6. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    Cubin' is spot on. You should play it on at least heroic or not at all. It took me around 10 hours and I enjoyed it a lot (completed heroic twice, now attempting legendary)

7. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    I just played online with my and my friend Moses, we completely owned this bunch of 8th graders. He was lollerskating.

8. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    It always surprises me when people say that. Halo1 didn't even have online play.

9. j5c077

Member j5c077 dood

United States
    you mean, it wasnt exactly like halo 2?
    oh wait, that game was a rip off too

10. DSGRIM
    OP

Member DSGRIM GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Halo 2 was awesome because of the new stuff and the story was interesting. This one was super easy (even on heroic, if you think otherwise you may not have played the other 2 games) the story was like something they used because they didn't feel like finishing the game and just wanted to put out a great multi player. (The multiplayer never got better, IMO, just more maps and the chars looked diff)

(Halo was classic because it was scary as hell with the flood being introduced and only playing the game at night, though I was young when it came out)

11. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    I found the campaign frustrating and annoying. The Arbiter sucks ass, checkpoint system is fucked (doesn't remember my most recent checkpoint for some reason), and there's too many choke points. It's almost as I have to play... strategically!

But I must say that multiplayer is bad ass.

I actually plan to play the campaign portion in co-op.

edit-btw, I naturally suck on single player:/

12. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    Haven't played halo3, but what i've heard is that halo is all about multiplayer.. oh wait original halo didn't have multiplayer?? So why was it so "great"? :A ok halo1 pc version was almost fun on lan with some custom stuff like snipers that fires plasma granades and stuff. Maybe it's just not my game.

13. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Me and 2 friends beat campaign on legendary in like 8 hours. We beat normal in 4.5 hours. It was short, but I enjoyed it. The multiplayer is excellent. Try shotty Snipes on the Snowbound level...

14. Don Andy

Member Don Andy GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    It's so nice to be able to just enjoy a game and don't bitch about how it didn't live up to my expectations.

It's sad that most people only play games to complain about them afterwards. I mean, if you don't like the game, just sell it on Ebay or trade it for something better. It's not like the game will magically become good if you bitch about it on enough message boards. Or are able to make other people regret their buy, so you aren't the only one.

I had a great time playing the campaign. Granted, it isn't the best game EVAR or anything, but I enjoyed the campaign and will probably play through it another few times. Favourite scene is probably when that big ship comes swooping down. First time I stood right in front of a Wraith and was all like "WTF" when the thing suddenly came flying at me.
    Also, this made me pick the Marathon trilogy again. Also pretty good games. Too bad there's only the second part on Live Arcade, but I'm playing them all on the PC, anyway. Freeware ftw.
    And Halo was never about Multiplayer for me, anyway. I had good times playing splitscreen with a few friends on Halo 2, but I never played any of the Halo games online. I enjoyed the story, which got better with every part (although I'm still grumpy about that cliffhanger ending in Halo 2) and imo got a pretty much conclusion in Halo 3. Granted, there are a few things they could've gone further on, but all in all, it was pretty good.

Oh, and of course I wasn't implying that you shouldn't talk negatively about a game. Every game needs reviews, good or bad ones. But "OMG HALO3 SUX IT DOESN'T HEAL CANCER" is hardly a review. Sadly, most "big" reviewers are also too easily influenced by the hypes surrounding games like Halo 3. It's good, but it doesn't deserve 9/10 or even 10/10 points. I'd probably give it about 7.5/10

15. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It depends on how much you sit back to actually play it, or do you just run in, kill things, get to the next level, and run in?

BioShock taking less than 10 hour is unheard of to me. That game is all about the story, and exploring every inch of every room to find more diaries and fun tonics.

HalfLife 2 is definitely long -- it depends on the game. A lot of FPS's are short (7-10 hours), but some are incredibly long.

Halo 3 doesn't suck, it's just not living up to it's hype, which isn't it's fault, it's the gamers. It's actually a very well made game; tight graphics, good gameplay, upped the ante from Halo 2.

16. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    At least Halo 3 has *some* variation in it, unlike Halo 1 and 2...
    I wasn't hyped about Halo 3 at all, since Halo 1 and 2 were big disappointments for me (I never even finished Halo 2, because it's so painfully repetitive), but when I played it in Co-Op mode yesterday (we almost finished the game in one session), I was really surprised that it's actually much more fun than Halo 1 and 2 and that many flaws were fixed...it may be a bit shorter than its predecessors, so what? I clearly prefer a short and great game to a long and boring game at any time.. I'm not even sure if it's any shorter at all

anyway, while Halo 3 has some big improvements, it's still just more of the same, and it's still overhyped...it's worth playing through once or twice, but there are far better FPS games

17. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The best thing about halo 3 is after you've finished it loads of times you can play online with mates. I don't like just going onto the random matches as you get people either talking all the way through or the little 12 year old kids hiding in the corner lasering everyone that comes past.

18. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Passing off difficulty for game time constitutes poor game design. No matter how well the enemies aim or how apt the AI is there's still a finite amount of content to be discovered - it's not going to multiply just because I'm having a harder time. Designing games that way was okay in the days of cartridges when storage space was limited and you had to do something to make up for "lack of value" (as it's commonly phrased by idiot reviewers), but not in 2007.

The shift within the industry towards designing games which work best in multiplayer is also interesting, given how only 20% of gamers bother.

Edit: removed flamebait, no need.

19. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    To the OP...Who buys halo for single player?

20. Kamiyama

Member Kamiyama GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    I just buy Halo 3 today and already beat the game... Yes, I agreed, it's kinda short on Normal. Oh, well. Tomorrow its time to try Heroic mode. Gotta buy another gamepad and try it with friends. And when I get that thing on net, I'm gonna try that online.

By the way, its that only me, or is almost all FPS games short?

Bioshock -> ~6h
    FEAR -> 4h
    Half Life -> 5h
    Half Life 2 -> ~6h
    Half Life 2 Ep 1 -> ~2h
    Halo -> 6h
    Halo 2 -> 5h
    Halo 3 -> ~5h
    etc.

All those on first time through.

That's why I prefer more about RPG games.