Hacking Had switch repaired, now it won't boot to Nintendo Scree

Vantix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey gang. Recently, my switch froze mid game. Hard rebooting it had no effect, and I was unable to even get into RCM mode despite all my attempts.

I sent the switch off to be repaired, and they found a blown capacitor which they replaced. Now I can get into RCM, and load Hekate or Fusee-primary without issue. Unfortunately, the switch never gets into the actual "Nintendo" system. At best, if I boot directly using Fusee-Primary.bin, I see the atmosphere and Sept logo splash screens, and then the normal battery charged status indicator in the top left corner. Then my switch goes completely black.

Disabling AutoRCM and just turning on the switch results in nothing but a black screen. I never see anything happen at all.

Any ideas? I do have a Nand backup from Day 1 unboxing of the switch, as well as a backup of the current state nand. I've tried restoring the original nand, but got no different results there.

I appreciate any advice!

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
You could also try to boot into the official firmware to see if it is something with Atmosphere.
If it boots normally into the official firmware, maybe try the latest version of Atmosphere.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
You could also try to boot into the official firmware to see if it is something with Atmosphere.
If it boots normally into the official firmware, maybe try the latest version of Atmosphere.
The OP says turning the Switch on normally does nothing, so I wouldn't say it is an issue with that.

Vantix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure they repaired it? Sounds like to me that they may have replaced the whole board and maybe a newer firmware came along with it.

They said they repaired it, but it's possible they replaced it. Even with a newer firmware, shouldn't it boot with Fusee-Primary.bin and the latest version of atmosphere? All I can get to is the battery indicator in the top left, and then a black screen...

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They said they repaired it, but it's possible they replaced it. Even with a newer firmware, shouldn't it boot with Fusee-Primary.bin and the latest version of atmosphere? All I can get to is the battery indicator in the top left, and then a black screen...
Sounds like your battery is dead. Let it charge overnight and try again.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Could be just a hunch, but try a different SD card with just the Hekate, and Atmosphere files to get it booting. If they replaced the board then it could be fucking up with the Atmosphere installation since it was used on a previous system. Although that is just an assumption.

Vantix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be just a hunch, but try a different SD card with just the Hekate, and Atmosphere files to get it booting. If they replaced the board then it could be fucking up with the Atmosphere installation since it was used on a previous system. Although that is just an assumption.

Great idea. Tried it, same result. I even used a new SD card and formatted it to FAT32. Same result.

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Great idea. Tried it, same result. I even used a new SD card and formatted it to FAT32. Same result.
I believe no amount of software troubleshooting is going to fix this issue. This seems to be an underlying hardware issue, by whoever 'repaired' your system. It's not uncommon that this happens, as many people report their switch's not booting past the Nintendo logo or the Switch logo. Just as a sanity check, I'd let it sit there on Hekate or something and let the switch die. Might take a while because it's not doing anything; but this might help since they 'replaced' that capacitor, and letting power cycle can usually fix common booting issues if it's hardware related.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Vantix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe no amount of software troubleshooting is going to fix this issue. This seems to be an underlying hardware issue, by whoever 'repaired' your system. It's not uncommon that this happens, as many people report their switch's not booting past the Nintendo logo or the Switch logo. Just as a sanity check, I'd let it sit there on Hekate or something and let the switch die. Might take a while because it's not doing anything; but this might help since they 'replaced' that capacitor, and letting power cycle can usually fix common booting issues if it's hardware related.

Thanks. I'm willing to give that a go. I seem to have tried everything else from a software perspective.

Debating if I should send this back to the same people, or try someone new to look at the hardware. Any reputable places / people you guys would recommend?

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Debating if I should send this back to the same people, or try someone new to look at the hardware. Any reputable places / people you guys would recommend?
Just about anyone that isn't Nintendo. They'd send you a patched system without a doubt. Personally I don't know of anyone that's per say, good, or in the scene that can repair any kind of issues. Although, I would surely ask around the temp to see if there is anyone who is skilled enough and if you're willing to pay someone to fix the issue if it's something more complex.

supersega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just about anyone that isn't Nintendo. They'd send you a patched system without a doubt. Personally I don't know of anyone that's per say, good, or in the scene that can repair any kind of issues. Although, I would surely ask around the temp to see if there is anyone who is skilled enough and if you're willing to pay someone to fix the issue if it's something more complex.

I bet Tiny Soldering Guy would be skilled enough...

Vantix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No luck with letting the batter run down. After charging back up to 50 percent, the results are the same. I can get to the battery icon, but never see the nintendo logo.

Any other ideas? Or recommendations for who might be able to look at the hardware?

Vantix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you checked if your Boot0/Boot1 are ok? make a dump and compare it with your backup Nand

Not sure how to compare them...

I restored just the Boot0/Boot1 and tried to startup - same results. I get briefly see the charge status of the battery (nearly full charge) but never see the nintendo logo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...