Hacking hackmii warning to pirates

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to sound like a wise-guy but isnt this request a little late?
I mean it is going to get honest and unknowing people to pull it - and the guys making a profit wont care and not pull it.
It will look like you can only PURCHASE this now to the regular "Joe VideoGamer" just getting into the scene - these guys will make more money.
*Unknowing people I mean by they put it out there on their site not making a profit but more for convience

Just a thought here

yakboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember it takes 2, to tango. If people are dumb enough to pay then it's their fault and they don't have any business hacking their Wii in the first place. It's takes a certain technical knowledge to be bale to hack the Wii and run HB. Most likely those are people asking dumb repeated questions on the forms.

j0shuakane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pirates crying to other pirates about pirating, i will never understand. working hard to add anything to this (the pirate)community and not expecting it to be stolen, modified, and spread around as others see fit is just foolish, especially when noobs would much rather pay then take the time to figure this shit out. its like, "welcome to the internet, get over it."

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
j0shuakane said:
pirates crying to other pirates about pirating, i will never understand. working hard to add anything to this (the pirate)community and not expecting it to be stolen, modified, and spread around as others see fit is just foolish, especially when noobs would much rather pay then take the time to figure this shit out. its like, "welcome to the internet, get over it."
If you're talking about hackmii, their stuff weren't meant to be used for piracy (But they don't care, as we can see), but rather it was for homebrew purposes.

jacklaidlaw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ChaosBoi said:
j0shuakane said:
If you're talking about hackmii, their stuff weren't meant to be used for piracy (But they don't care, as we can see), but rather it was for homebrew purposes.

they dont care how it is used the care about people making money from their free software

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dottor_male said:
Even if they sold the source, put under GPL or whatever, they CAN put limits on the use of the software.
The GPL does not allow you to add any other restrictions to the license. You can come up with your own license that lets you put whatever restrictions you want, but that's different to the GPL.

I think I should point out that libogc (the base library that nearly all wii homebrew uses) is licensed under the GPL, hence ALL wii homebrew that uses it should also be GPL.

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
tueidj said:
I think I should point out that libogc (the base library that nearly all wii homebrew uses) is licensed under the GPL, hence ALL wii homebrew that uses it should also be GPL.This is incorrect. libogc is basically licensed as BSD-with-attribution. You can use it in whatever software you want however you want, the only limitations are that you can't claim you came up with it, you can't make your own build and still claim it's the original, and you can't remove the license/notice from source-code distributions of libogc.
QUOTECopyright  2004 - 2009
Michael Wiedenbauer (shagkur)
Dave Murphy (WinterMute)

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any
damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any
purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and
redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you
must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use
this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product
documentation would be appreciated but is not required.
2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and
must not be misrepresented as being the original software.
3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source
distribution.
You may be confusing libogc with devkitPro. devkitPro is GPL by means of integrating GCC, which would force GPL upon it even if the devs didn't want go to that way.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
you can discuss all what you want about GPL, this is out of subject here since the HBC is not released under GPL but a special license

from the readme:
QUOTE said:
SALES AND SCAMS

The Homebrew Channel is not licensed for redistribution, sale, or bundling.
We reserve the right to request the removal of any redistributed copies of
this software. Any kind of sale, bundling, or association with commercial
activity is strictly forbidden.

Copyright © 2008 Team Twiizers, all rights reserved.

Also sourcecodes they are using from others (mainly libogc, libexpat and libpng) are not distributed under the GPL license, so they can choose any kind of license they want for this and keep the sourcecode private if they want...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum