ROM Hack Hacking "Must Be On" Codes

thela_kid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everybody at this wonderful forum, not sure if this was the right place to post this. I enjoy hacking my own codes but some games like New Super Mario Bros. require a Must Be On Code. Although I can download the cheat file maintained on this site, it does not apply to rom hacked versions. Any tips or links to how-to pages?? Thanks All
biggrin.gif

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you mean there's no cheats for it?

if so, it means that the cheat database doesn't support rom hacks, except with certain exceptions for certain translated games.

thela_kid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed while trying to hack my own codes, they would not work. From cheats.gbatemp.net/Temp, the usrcheat.dat file has "Must Be On" code for NSMB that allows the other codes to work. However this MBO code doesn't work for rom hacks. It is this code I'm looking for. Sorry if it's confusing :/

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
thela_kid said:
I noticed while trying to hack my own codes, they would not work. From cheats.gbatemp.net/Temp, the usrcheat.dat file has "Must Be On" code for NSMB that allows the other codes to work. However this MBO code doesn't work for rom hacks. It is this code I'm looking for. Sorry if it's confusing :/

i have no idea why do you need that code?
the code is only needed if you are using the ARDS devices from datel
if i remember things correctly, you don't need that code for flashcart/emulators

the code enables a jump from 023807d40 to a specific address
i assume that address is where the ARDS handler is located (hopefully, i used the right term)

when you are talking abour ROM HACKS? i have no idea which one are you talking about
i will assume you are also talking about Mario

if you really keen on doing this yourself.... then you need to find out the following

-where should it jump from on the hacked game
-where should it jump to for both clean and hacked
-calculate the jump for hacked game

but why need it... if you are running on flash cart / emulators

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I am reading you correctly you are wanting to cheat on NSMB with modified levels? The header CRC is fixed so that means the cheat engine doesn't recognize it as the same game. You have to use R4CCE to edit the dat and add the game ID and codes. Alternatively, you could use DSATM to apply the cheats.

thela_kid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah thanks all that makes a lot of sense. Now I tried using the R4CCE to edit and the codes didn't work on the rom-hacked NSMB. However, my question about Must Be On codes have been answered, thank you!!! This is a wonderful community.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
thela_kid said:
Ah thanks all that makes a lot of sense. Now I tried using the R4CCE to edit and the codes didn't work on the rom-hacked NSMB. However, my question about Must Be On codes have been answered, thank you!!! This is a wonderful community.

glad that you think like this ...
someone on the other hand just bombarded me and said....
you only help the popular
tongue.gif

if the codes didn't work then you might need to hack it
tongue.gif

its not new that a patched/hacked rom might changes the original address
since you said you could code then it should not be much problem for you to redo the work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum