Hacking Game Saves

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by elunesgrace, May 5, 2015.

1. elunesgrace
    OP

elunesgrace GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada
    Hey guys,

This is somewhat of an ambitious question for me but let's try.

I remember with pokemon games, there has always been a way to edit the save files and repackage them in. You could use a save editor on PC and then simply add it back in with a tool in Gateway mode

Now here's the questions in order:

- Do the Shin Megami Devil Survivor games have any tool that allows you to hack the saves?

- If so, is it possible to modify the save of an older game (Say Shin Megami Devil Survivor 2) and transfer it over to the newer version (Shin Megami Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker).

- In the unlikely event this is possible, would it even work if it was between a DS emulator's RAW file, and the Gateway 3DS saves?

In theory this does seem possible, in that the raw files are of similar type. However, I think because the game is somewhat differet, it is probably impossible. So the only option would probably be to actually hack the save and try to copy over whatever content was in the old save.

Thoughts? I know we got some thinkers up in here so I thought it was worth asking =).

2. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Just copying the save over definitely wouldn't work, you'd have to work out the save formats of both versions in detail and make a tool to convert between them and fill out any missing bits.

elunesgrace likes this.
  3. CollosalPokemon

CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

Oct 18, 2009
    United States
    I started a Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (Record Breaker in US) save editor a few months ago but I dropped it. I was initially thinking of releasing it but after a while I thought it wouldn't be interesting.
    the Break Record saves are easier to edit than I expected though.

elunesgrace likes this.
  4. elunesgrace
    OP

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada
    If I can help you finish it I will. I think its worth having the tool to be honest.

5. elunesgrace
    OP

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada
    Also might have found one for the first devil survivor. But can't find any for the second one.

6. kingaz

kingaz GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, what were you able to edit?

7. CollosalPokemon

CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

Oct 18, 2009
    United States
    character data (hp, mp, command set, passive set, .....) but I stopped working on the editor before adding editing capability (so it's more of a viewer for characters).
    manually editing the save file is what I've been doing to learn about it. there are an awful lot of attacks that are probably never going to be made public (at least not officially). I'm really not interested in cheating but I wanted to see how many attacks I could find and how the character data is organised.

8. Raybrand

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States

How do you modify a save? I tried opening a .sav file in visual studio 2013 but didnt know what to do with it. I have devil survivor 2 record breaker but I want to modify my save so that I have max money. I dont like using cheats like god mode but I need cheats that cut down on grinding, its soo expensive to make your ideal demon team.

9. CollosalPokemon

CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

Oct 18, 2009
    United States
    it doesn't work like that :P you need to decrypt the save (atm the only public way to do it is with savedatafiler) and open that with a hex editor. nobody needs cheats. it's one of the (limited few) reasons I stopped working on a save editor for break record.

Raybrand likes this.
  10. Raybrand

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States

Ok I'll give that a look, for a moment I thought it was as simple as opening the save in visual studio, finding the amount of cash in hexadecimal and changing it, which ended up corrupting the file. (good thing i keep backups).

I haven't used savedatafiler before but I know people uses its involved in helping people get the pokemon they want.
    So to summarize, I use savedatafiler to export my save of devil survivor 2, on my pc I open the file using hex editor, on that I find the values I want to change (in this case, cash) then import that data using savedatafiler?

p.s. (on another topic) yeah 'need' isnt the right word, I just have a low tolerance for grinding which is why I cant play a shin megami/persona game without cheats. Im so seriously screwed when persona 5 comes out, I was hoping ps3 emu would be done around now. I wish more rpg's had fast forward and auto battle like Bravely Default.

EDIT: Ok I managed to extract my save and I've opened it to find the long list of hex values but I dont know what sections I need to change, do you know or know how I can found out which values to change?

11. Raybrand

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    Ah sweet i figured it out, the line that stores cash in devil survivor 2 is line 108 or 6c0

12. david_keen

david_keen Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2015
    Do u know the lines for the fate system?, i am stuck when u have to persuade the teams that u win, but i have just 1 guy (Airi) that i cant persuade, thats why i want to edit just that lane and put the fate from 3 to 4, just that, if u know what lane is, or any info, please tell me.