Hacking Hack a PS3 CECH 43XX, 4.88

Karatevan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys!

Got a PS3 that was collecting dust somewhere who knows where.

It is a PS3 serial CECH 43XX, updated to 4.88.

I wanted to mod it and I tryed 2 tutorials made by Blaine Locklair here the links:

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2 (HEN)

Following Tutorial 1, I reach 3:40 (system check) and I get a red cross (No CFW Compatible), and using Tutorial 2 on 2:58, I don't get the system update, it says the system is already updated; tryed to proceed further to 7:41 (installing HEN), but got error both running the "initialize HEN Installer" and "Install HEN" too.

The tutorials are very well made in my opinion, and the procedure looks fairly simple, but cannot mod the console,

help guys!

Reactions: HollowGrams

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may have to install hfw through the recovery menu. I think that's usually the case with the same firmware version unless using update debug, which you can't do anyway.

Karatevan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
you may have to install hfw through the recovery menu. I think that's usually the case with the same firmware version unless using update debug, which you can't do anyway.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. Is there any good/recent tutorial you d like to suggest? I am in the noob-ish league, so the shortest/clearest the better. thanks

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys!

I wanted to mod it and I tryed 2 tutorials made by Blaine Locklair here the links:

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2 (HEN)

Following Tutorial 1, I reach 3:40 (system check) and I get a red cross (No CFW Compatible), and using Tutorial 2 on 2:58, I don't get the system update, it says the system is already updated; tryed to proceed further to 7:41 (installing HEN), but got error both running the "initialize HEN Installer" and "Install HEN" too.

The tutorials are very well made in my opinion, and the procedure looks fairly simple, but cannot mod the console,

help guys!
The first link is for fat and early slim 2k models. It says that in the video and in the description. If you try and proceed with that you could brick your system so stop.

The second link you sent is the correct one he has in the description and is the one you need to follow for Super Slim

Karatevan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The first link is for fat and early slim 2k models. It says that in the video and in the description. If you try and proceed with that you could brick your system so stop.

The second link you sent is the correct one he has in the description and is the one you need to follow for Super Slim

"Following Tutorial 1, I reach 3:40 (system check) and I get a red cross (No CFW Compatible), and using Tutorial 2 on 2:58...." = once I reached the system check and got the red cross, I moved into Tutorial 2, sticking with T1 did not make any sense. Tutorial 2 does not work for me neither, as the Hybrid Firmware is correctly loaded from the USB but it is not installed correctly.

All the above information were included in the original post too, sorry but you didn't give any piece of advice to proceed. Thanks by the way.

Last edited by Karatevan,

Karatevan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Reactions: godreborn

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Following Tutorial 1, I reach 3:40 (system check) and I get a red cross (No CFW Compatible), and using Tutorial 2 on 2:58...." = once I reached the system check and got the red cross, I moved into Tutorial 2, sticking with T1 did not make any sense. Tutorial 2 does not work for me neither, as the Hybrid Firmware is correctly loaded from the USB but it is not installed correctly.

All the above information were included in the original post too, sorry but you didn't give any piece of advice to proceed. Thanks by the way.
The advice is to start again and follow the second tutorial. It doesn’t “load from your USB.”. When you finish the tutorial you will have hen enabler on your dumb which you click every time you turn on your ps3.

Karatevan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The advice is to start again and follow the second tutorial. It doesn’t “load from your USB.”. When you finish the tutorial you will have hen enabler on your dumb which you click every time you turn on your ps3.
We do speak a different language, but still, let me try again:
following Tutorial 2, at a certain point, you need to update system from a local drive (usb). To do that you place the Hybrid FW on a Fat32 formated usb, put in your 'most right' usb port, go to update and choose 'internal source'... the system find the Hybrid FW, and begin the preparation process, but when it should actually install it (in my case) it says that is not needed, cos system is updated aleady, while the Tutorial 2 video, it is shown that the system performs an installation process. So 2 processes in total, prep process and installation process, for some reason my PS3 skips the second one.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what determines same firmware install is the image version from the vsh.self. I think that's what prevents it from installing on xmb. it should install through the recovery menu though, because that's its purpose (if something were to be horribly wrong with the firmware for example).

Reactions: Karatevan

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys!

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2 (HEN)

help guys!

PS3 serial CECH 43XX, You need 4.88 hfw then proceed to hen. You cant cfw non cfw'able ps3s.

Cecha01-CECH2501B can be cfw (2501B must have date code on bottom plate of anything before april) (You can also use minverchk)

Cech2501B past april - Cech4k can only do HEN.

Last edited by HollowGrams,

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We do speak a different language, but still, let me try again:
following Tutorial 2, at a certain point, you need to update system from a local drive (usb). To do that you place the Hybrid FW on a Fat32 formated usb, put in your 'most right' usb port, go to update and choose 'internal source'... the system find the Hybrid FW, and begin the preparation process, but when it should actually install it (in my case) it says that is not needed, cos system is updated aleady, while the Tutorial 2 video, it is shown that the system performs an installation process. So 2 processes in total, prep process and installation process, for some reason my PS3 skips the second one.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/4-88-update-is-live-official-hfw-hen-released.34066/

download this. Extract it and on a FAT32 USB create this folder structure
PS3. Inside ps3 create UPDATE. inside update copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP here.

From off, turn PS3 by pressing power button. While holding ps3 it will beep, then beep again and turn off. Do this again, you will hear 1 beep, then a double beep. Let go of power button. Put usb in far right USB. Then go to system update. It will install now. It is advised to install this twice.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that will get you into the recovery menu if you don't know how. installing twice will fill up both ROS banks with the same firmware, good for verifying everything is okay if you ever wanted to, but not necessary with hfw unless you want to.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think the vita might also store the last firmware in a bank of some sort, not sure about the ps4 or if that would even be viable to downgrade or at least revert back to the last firmware. @KiiWii ? or @Leeful ?

Reactions: Karatevan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q