GW time machine method

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mijuu, Jun 5, 2016.

1. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    Guys is their method stable yet or is it best just to follow the classic plailect guide?

This is for a mate of mine and the instructions in the GW readme seem a lot bloody quicker.

2. Ramzh

Ramzh I am a living meme

Nov 29, 2014
    31 32 37 2E 30 2E 30 2E 31
    Just follow the Plailect Guide, it is the top!
    PS: said by a GW owner ^^

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Follow the Plailect guide, and use the arm9loaderhax.bin file provided by GW to boot into it with a key (put it in luma/payloads and name down_GW.bin or similar). Gateway's Time Machine skips many important safety steps, and, AFAIK, bricks N3DS consoles due to not unbricking emuNAND before flashing to sysNAND. Plus, it locks you forever to GW. If you ever happen to lose your GW card, your console is as good as a brick anyway since you can't boot to normal sysNAND anymore (you'd just get Gateway's menu and that would be it).

4. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    Aye were both GW owners. I thought so that guide does rock, but it is a pain in the arse.

Does the setup have to be rednand or can i just use an existing emunand?

Last edited by mijuu, Jun 5, 2016
  5. shadowofdarkness

shadowofdarkness GBAtemp Fan

Apr 17, 2007
    Canada
    I'm also a GW owner but I also would suggest using Plailect's guide. Then chainloading GW's arm9loaderhax.bin. So if you forget or lose the GW card you can still boot into a CFW like Luma and use the system not to mention other tools like decrypt9 etc not working with a pure Gateway implementation.

You just have to make sure to use a emunand since GW doesn't support redNAND

6. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    if the GW method locks you to GW only then yeh fuck it.

7. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Quote from Plailect's guide: "If you have an existing EmuNAND, you can follow this part without switching to RedNAND by following all RedNAND steps as if they said EmuNAND."

8. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    Antarctica
    I have right here my console with GW and i installed A9LH via Plailect's guide. I have in the SD the A9LH GW payload that i can remove at any moment.

9. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    Well god knows how I missed that line twice, maybe i did but decided to just do everything in the plailect guide as is perhaps.

10. yacepi15

Aug 15, 2015
    Antarctica
    I used a RedNAND on a fresh SD having emuNAND. Where is that line? I cant find it.

11. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    Same here that's how I did mine but was wondering if i could get away with being lazy and using gws method for a friend.

12. yacepi15

Aug 15, 2015
    Antarctica
    The removed steps are less security. Caution.

13. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    indeed will be using the plailect guide.

14. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You may have read the guide after it was changed to RedNAND and before that line was added

15. Binebina87

Binebina87 GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2013
    Gambia, The
    I also switched to a9LH using GW armloaderhax.bin recently.

I followed Plalilect's guide and everything went smoothly (luckily).
    You can skip a few steps like creating Rednand (just use your GW Emunand).
    Also you dont have to inject FBI to your Health and Savety app (which somehow didnt work with my Emunand). Just put FBI in .3ds format on your red GW card and install the required cias to your Emunand. (but if you prefer it you can still inject FBI to the H&S app :-) )