gw 9.6

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mijuu, Oct 9, 2015.

gw 9.6

by mijuu Oct 9, 2015 at 9:48 PM 2,274 Views 24 replies
  1. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    mrs family has updated her 3ds to 9.6 is there anyway to get it downgraded or is she screwed like i think?

2. LittleRod

LittleRod Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    If you have a NAND Backup, you can downgrade with Hardmod. Its the only way to downgrade in your situation.

3. omgcat

omgcat GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2009
    United States
    screwed

4. Dark Ronin

Dark Ronin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2015
    Serbia, Republic of
    If you have sysnand backup, you can hfrdmod and downgrade. If you hasn't/lost it - well, uh-oh.

5. kae5738

kae5738 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2014
    Serbia, Republic of
    Updated sysnand or emunand? n3ds or old? If sysnand, then you need a nand backup and hardmod.

6. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    I have a nand image. What sort of price does this cost? Could do it myself i suppose its just a bit of soldering isn't it? Anyone around the Wrexham/UK area offer this service?

7. Seita

Seita GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    Specify your 3ds model. Yes. you can do it if you have minimum soldering skills and not afraid to open the thing. Just look for 3ds hardmod and proceed accordingly.

8. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    old 3ds XL

getting all the equipment might cost more than what makes the job worth doing. may be be easier and cheaper to just pay someone to do it for me. Would any kind of shops do this?

Then again feel like having a crack at it myself. hmmmm. Gonna get some prices for someone else to do it and go from there.

Cant seem to find the hardware downgrade guide all guides are to downgrade 9.2 and below.

Last edited by mijuu, Oct 9, 2015
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    @hundshamer on the forum does hardmods in US.

Ronhero likes this.
  10. Seita

Oct 4, 2015
    I'm afraid it's hard to find someone to do for you since it's not an actual repair nor is it endorsed by Nintendo. Anyway, It's so much fun to do things yourself and it's much easier than you think especially that you have a xl model.

mijuu likes this.
  11. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    i seriously cant find the dam guide for it. been looking for the past half an hour all links go to <9.2 downgrade guide. I have a rough idea how to do it vaguely you need a donor sd some soldering and a raspberry PI. Can you please link the guide?

12. legofan623

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    Hold on how did you upgrade to 9.6 when the latest version is 10.1?

13. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    wasn't me id never do something so daft. it was my mrs's family theyve had her 3ds for sometime and one of the wallies at some point has updated it.

was getting ready to install rxtools so she can play the new animal crossing as she has the old r4 delux card however didn't bother going any further when seeing system versiom 9.6

14. legofan623

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    Oh, I see. Sucks :wink:.

15. Seita

Oct 4, 2015
    What do you mean by donor sd?
    And no, you don't need raspberry PI.
    I remember I found a tutorial in an Italian website with pictorial. But, you know, we can't post links here.
    Go to youtube and you will find video tutorial
    DIY 3DS XL NAND Dumping

16. happyboy15

happyboy15 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2015
    <9.2 is available , 9.2+ seems impossible at the moment

17. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    The question that keeps popping up in my mind is, How was Gw able to figure out how to downgrade to 4.5...should there be some files that are signed?

18. palantine

palantine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2014
    Italy
    They have complete control over the system meaning they can simply patch the update process to allow downgrade.

-palantine

19. legofan623

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    If you're familiar with how Android recovery works, I believe that that's how Gateway downgrader works. The Gateway downgrader sits between the system and the nand (probably the ram or SD card) and basically erases all files from the nand (which is fine because the gateway downgrader isn't running from the nand). It then copies the older firmware byte for bye to the nand, thus making the nand into a 1:1 copy of an older firmware installation. The whole process is very similar to nand dumping and restoring, so no signing trickery involved.

Last edited by legofan623, Oct 10, 2015
  20. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    legofan623 I think he was talking about those downgrade pack dg files. And the downgrade procedure might be very much similar to the 3ds updater app (which palantine had already explained in short answer).

It is only possible to downgrade if you have full system access (that requires an exploitable firmware version which we know so far is up to 9.2). At the moment anything on 9.3 or above cannot be downgraded so your only option is to NAND mod to downgrade using your console's own NAND.bin that was 9.2 or below.

Last edited by Just3DS, Oct 10, 2015