OP
Trophies
Website
whatthephoto.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has created something similar to what I'm trying to describe. I believe there is probably something like this for the iPhone/Touch, but wondered how difficult it would be to implement on the DS.

Basically a guitar chord chart that showed in tablature form where one would place their fingers, the name of the chord, and a sonic demonstration. The user could use a menu to select which key the chord is in, and another to choose major, minior, seventh, diminished, whatever options.

I think this would be a really handy tool. If it exists. And if not, someone could make Nintendo DS fame by creating it!

On a related note, it would also be cool if there was an e-reader for the DS that had auto-scrolling. One could load guitar tabs in a .txt file and have it scroll down so they had a sheet-music computer handy. It'd certainly be cheaper than this:
http://books-videos-music.musiciansfriend....book?sku=423873

Anyway. Thanks for your answers!

adundy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the guitar player the game jam sessions has what you were describing and it had a sequel jam sessions 2.
and for auto scroll check dsreader and moonshell2 who knows maybe they have that feature.

GhostToast

OP
Trophies
Website
whatthephoto.com
XP
Country
United States
I took a look at this Jam Session game (a review) and couldn't tell if it met my requirements or not. To clarify, I'm not looking for a "let's pretend we're playing the guitar" game, but a utility that would help an actual guitarist look up chords. I can't tell in the product's description if it actually does that.

Y05h1

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I wonder how accurate the DS mic is? It would be pretty cool if in addition to what you mentioned, it could also give feedback on wether the chords you played were out of tune or not (and before you start playing, it would also help you tune your guitar).

As for sheet-music... a little too small for that purpose, perhaps? I'd personally just bite the bullet and get an iPad (which would also have all the other necessary music related apps).

GhostToast

OP
Trophies
Website
whatthephoto.com
XP
Country
United States
ya admittedly the DS, DS Lite and DSi screens are humorously small for reading much. But the DSi XL would work pretty well. I think though, if one could mount the DS to the headstock, you might have something usable. Such as the product I linked to in the original post (though I could not clamp something to the strings as I play classical mostly...something could be glued to the end of a clamp capo though...)

And ya a tuner would be a great idea.

As for the chord charts, we could pretty much find any kind of javascript chord chart and just emulate that. We don't need every single variation of every chord, but having a high percentage would be good.

The ability to swap back and forth between the text file (music) and the chord-finder would help. Or even (now we're getting complicated) the ability to tap on the name of a chord and have it display the fingering in the screen above! Yipes!

I'm no programmer but could help with the UI

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do recall a guitar tuning program way back for the DS (I think I might have even reported on it)

"if there was an e-reader for the DS that had auto-scrolling"
Considered a video player, I might be able to knock up an avisynth script and if I get especially inspired maybe even a custom version of batchDPG.

edit: linky http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13736

edit2
Apparently there was more than one
http://www.object65.it/StringTunerDS.aspx?lang=eng

edit3
Even more
http://filetrip.net/f3659-Guitar-Sound-1-5.html

env

Trophies
XP
Country
Jam Sessions 2 my friend,
laugh.gif
you'll find anything about chord chart there.
jamsessions2_2a.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night