• Views 188,518
  • Replies 340
  • Likes 69

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there! I downloaded "SDK DevKit Tools 3DSWare 3DS INTERNAL-BigBlueBox" and tried to install version 5.2.2 of SaveDataFiler.cia. Unfortunately BigBlueMenu keeps telling me that the CIA is invalid and can't be imported. Should I get a different release, a different DevMenu or is version 5.2.2 causing trouble?

EDIT: Okay, just got the CSU file from the same release and converted it to CIA. This one works fine!

Reactions: mmn

patey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sorry for repeating information already asked in the comments but I just want to clarify to ensure I don't mess up my 3ds.

I have a 3DS XL, north american region, on firmware 9.2. I've done some softmodding before on my psp 3000, wii, and xbox 360 so I'm not completely lost here lol.
I didn't read every word of the guide but from what I read I didn't get a clear understanding of how exactly to go about using emuNAND,although I understand using the "format emuNAND" option in the gateway menu will create it, and is there any particular way to backup my savedata before creating it or would I just copy any files on the sd card to my computer then back again?
once I have an emuNAND and I've booted to it will anything I do while using emuNAND affect sysNAND? (particularly, will updating to 9.4 on emuNAND affect sysNAND? (for that matter would I even do a system update or is there a way to spoof the firmware version and keep it on 9.2?) )

tallpr24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could boot Gateway mode on your old 3DS, make an emuNAND, copy it to an emuNAND in your new 3DS and that way you'd have a system transfer without updating sysNAND.

i thought youc ould only transfer the emunand into the same 3ds, and that trying to reflash a different 3ds with another 3ds sysnan would not work?

tallpr24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought youc ould only transfer the emunand into the same 3ds, and that trying to reflash a different 3ds with another 3ds sysnan would not work?

what i would like to acomplish is to have all my games and streetpass data into the sysnan of the new 3ds and not in emunand.

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for repeating information already asked in the comments but I just want to clarify to ensure I don't mess up my 3ds.

I have a 3DS XL, north american region, on firmware 9.2. I've done some softmodding before on my psp 3000, wii, and xbox 360 so I'm not completely lost here lol.
I didn't read every word of the guide but from what I read I didn't get a clear understanding of how exactly to go about using emuNAND,although I understand using the "format emuNAND" option in the gateway menu will create it, and is there any particular way to backup my savedata before creating it or would I just copy any files on the sd card to my computer then back again?
once I have an emuNAND and I've booted to it will anything I do while using emuNAND affect sysNAND? (particularly, will updating to 9.4 on emuNAND affect sysNAND? (for that matter would I even do a system update or is there a way to spoof the firmware version and keep it on 9.2?) )

Emunand is loaded instead of sysnand when you boot into gateway mode or classic mode. Updating it won't affect sysnand. Creating it won't delete your save data. A large portion of the guide is dedicated to save data.

Is there a list of what games use 4.x key and list of games that use 6.x key?

http://3ds.essh.co/

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Gonna ask this here because no one is answering me thread :/
And you seem quite knowledgeable:
I'd like to format the emunand, but I have some some eshop bought games with important save files.
Will simply copying all the data on the SD card and then returning it after formatting emunand save my save files and games?

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna ask this here because no one is answering me thread :/
And you seem quite knowledgeable:
I'd like to format the emunand, but I have some some eshop bought games with important save files.
Will simply copying all the data on the SD card and then returning it after formatting emunand save my save files and games?

Savedatafiler, backup saves, format, reinstall games, savedatafiler, reinject backups.

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesnt save data filer only come in a CIA? is it alright to simply install it on systemnand?

I was under the impression your eshop games were on emunand and you wanted to do a system format on emunand.
system format /= format emunand.

Just pressing "format emunand" will wipe your SD card, but you can just restore a backup and you'll be good to go.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
I was under the impression your eshop games were on emunand and you wanted to do a system format on emunand.
system format /= format emunand.

Just pressing "format emunand" will wipe your SD card, but you can just restore a backup and you'll be good to go.

Ya, I meant creating the emunand partition for the first time.
What do you mean by "restore from a backup"? if I just backup everything on the SD and then return everything after I did format emunand, they'll be fine?

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya, I meant creating the emunand partition for the first time.
What do you mean by "restore from a backup"? if I just backup everything on the SD and then return everything after I did format emunand, they'll be fine?

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear.
  1. Copy everything from SD
  2. Format emunand from gateway menu
  3. Copy everything back

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I want to format EmuNAND to keep it separate from SysNAND by following the guide on EmuNAND and Save data... How do I proceed, do I just select Format System Memory under System Settings>Other Settings?

Or, do I boot into GW mode, then go to System Settings>Other Settings?

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I want to format EmuNAND to keep it separate from SysNAND by following the guide on EmuNAND and Save data... How do I proceed, do I just select Format System Memory under System Settings>Other Settings?

Or, do I boot into GW mode, then go to System Settings>Other Settings?

uh, yeah, you definitely should be in emunand before you hit format system memory.

patey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I created a sysNAND backup, copied the contents of my sd card to a usb stick as a backup, then did an emuNAND format. I wasn't going to bother copying my saves, I decided the games weren't all that important (pokemon X, which I finished, and an animal crossing save), but a family member wiped the stick without asking me what it was so I lost my sysNAND backup. will performing a sysNAND backup now, after doing the emuNAND, still be a proper backup?

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I created a sysNAND backup, copied the contents of my sd card to a usb stick as a backup, then did an emuNAND format. I wasn't going to bother copying my saves, I decided the games weren't all that important (pokemon X, which I finished, and an animal crossing save), but a family member wiped the stick without asking me what it was so I lost my sysNAND backup. will performing a sysNAND backup now, after doing the emuNAND, still be a proper backup?

Backing up sysnand from the gateway menu isn't the same as backing up your 3ds SD. One is just data from the SD, and one is actual internal 3DS system data. The sysnand backup is going to be the same regardless of whether you have your SD backup or not.

patey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Backing up sysnand from the gateway menu isn't the same as backing up your 3ds SD. One is just data from the SD, and one is actual internal 3DS system data. The sysnand backup is going to be the same regardless of whether you have your SD backup or not.

sorry I should've been more clear - I'm not worried about my SD card backup I just had the NAND.bin in there but I was worried the NAND.bin would be different now that I had done the emuNAND format, but I've realized that the emuNAND format doesn't affect the sysNAND anyway so it was a stupid question.

Just to be safe on the updating though - as long as I see GW3D in front of the FW version when I'm in the system settings it's safe to go to other settings and do a system update right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1